How do I get my toddler to stop throwing things at my face.

I'm about to beat him!! I've said no. I've told him that hurts mommy. I've put him in multiple time outs. I'm at my wits end! Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the toy away and dont give it back for a day
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Tell him that it isn't acceptable behaviour and do not shout or act flustered at all. He's doing it because it bothers you and gets you flustered, which is perfectly understandable but don't let him keep testing the boundaries. Instead do not react and just put him straight into time-out, however many times it takes. It is extremely frustrating at the time but it'll pay off int he long term. Good luck and best wishes!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Timeout and take the toy away.
    armywife1229

Answer by armywife1229 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have the same problem. TIme out usually works.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 8:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would tell him no in a stern voice...tell him how much it hurts to be hit in the face...then I would make him sit for as many minutes as he is old in a chair and do it every time he does it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Each time he throws something at you, take it and put it in the "bad behavior" box. The box can be anything big enough to keep the toys in. Put it up on a shelf where he can see it but not touch it.
    Tell him he gets the specific toy back after how ever many days based on his age (if he's 2, two days, if he's 3, three days and so on).
    The bad behavior box worked wonders on my sister who did that. Just make sure he knows what to expect and what you expect of him and keep consistent. Don't back down.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would def take the toy away, go over to him, get down to his level even if he is trying to get away hold firmly and tell him "you do not throw things at mommy!" You dont have to scream, but say it in a way that he knows you mean it! And it most likely will not work the first time, but you need to let him know that your not taking that!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I spank. Throwing toys at people is a "swattable" offense in my house. of course is it is preceded and followed by an explanation and conversation. But I would swat his thigh. That's me.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• my dd used to do that, i would tell her no it hurts mommy and take the toy the she threw at me away for the rest of the day!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Tell him that IS BAD to do that and if the stops doing it you will give him a SURPRISE
    BlueballandKids

Answer by BlueballandKids at 10:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010