Do you think children should have to say the Pledge of Allegience in school?

whats funny is when I started school my parents told me to stand up like everyone else but that I shouldn't say it because it was wrong to force it and just keep my hands behind my back. My son goes to an independent granola type gifted school, they don't say it. They do say it in my daughter's public school district and I have to say I shuttered a year ago at kindergarten meet and greet when they passed out the pledge for them to memorize over the summer.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 8:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I said it growing up so it doesnt really bother me.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• they can choose not to say it if they don't want to. i'm sure they were not obligated to memorize it over the summer... what's the big deal?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I had to say it everyday when I was younger. But I spent most of my early years on army bases so I guess it makes sense. :-)
    Even if the school says it, your child doesn't have to. Just have her do the same thing you did if you don't want her saying it.
    I wouldn't care either way what Ki's school decides to do.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes
    supermom2005

Answer by supermom2005 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Personally I think they should and need to learn to respect the country and understand how much better they have it here than other places.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 8:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• For the record, I didn't say anything to my daughter about saying it or not. When she is older she can question separation of church and state and decide for herself. I don't think my parents were wrong for telling me not to say it, but it did make me feel different from the start from other kids.
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Nope. It's like indoctrination, this mindless parroting of meaningless words. I have never liked it. I work in public schools so I feel obligated to say it, but the "under God" bit bothers me even more, b/c that doesn't even have anything to do with the country! Don't we want atheists and pagans and everyone else to be loyal to the USA too? So I don't say that part.

As for the argument that kids don't have to say it, well, YOU try being a kid and opting out of something everyone else does - it is very very difficult.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Of course they should not have to. It is just words. I do not pledge my allegiance to anyone but myself and my child. Oh and Joy, standing and making sure that I have no hat or covering on my head and placing my hands calming at my sides or behind my back is NOT disrespectful and not everyone feels they have it soooo much better here than other places!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i think it should be an option, which it is in most schools. they have a certain time to say it all together and if you dont want to you dont have to. i never said it in school but i always stood, out of respect.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think they should say it. like another poster said, we're pledging to our country...which has served us pretty damn well. we've got it pretty damn good here compared to other places.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2010