thin hair.

I have had thin hair since i was little. I've tried a few products like the nioxon, hair and mane, I can't find anything that will work. I was hoping someone could suggest a new product that would thicken my hair alittle.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• your hair type is typically genetic. There isn't anything you can do to actually make it thicker.. There are things you can do to make it appear thicker and give it more "body" however.

First.. get a hair cut that will bring out as much volume as possible.. If your hair is naturally curly or wavy and you aren't the type to spend a lot of time styling it, then i would suggest a little past your shoulders to shoulder length.. however if you want to spend more time on styling it daily try a cut that is chin length.

For shoulder length: bring out your natural curl or waves.. use a small amount of mouse and a diffuser (an attachment to a blow dryer).. For a little extra lift, try a root boaster, and this should enhance some body in your hair. If you go to a salon, a stylist can show you the proper ways to use a diffuser as well as the products..

For shorter hair you'll need a blow dryer and straightener (continued below)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Nothing will honey. I have hair that is as thin as a 5 year olds, maybe thinner. The beauty of being a true blonde is the way I look at it. And the more crap I add to my hair, the wose the problems....weighs it down, makes it less "full" looking, staticky in the fall and winter. So I just use a normal shampoo and conditioner. I don't add any hair spray or mouse or gel anymore, nothing. I do however have a shorter hair style. It's layered and chin length. I get more compliaments on my hair now than I ever did, even from people I have known forever and just haven't seen in a while. My suggestion is to get layers cut into it. There is nothing on the market that will fix it, otherwise EVERY girl with thin hair would be using it and it would be a gold mine!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You'll have to start with a root boaster product, (for tips on apply, pm me), and a thermal protection spray (especially since you have thin hair you want to be sure not to damage it with excess heat). Blow dry your hair up in the opposite direction from it's falling position to ensure a good lift. A good cut (with hidden penciled layers) will emphasize lift as well. then straighten to your desired look.. if you still want a touch extra lift.. try a little teasing. (again see a stylist and they can show you how to properly style it to get the BEST possible results that you want for your hair cut).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• hair color will NOT fix your hair or make it thicker..

Yes certain colors can add a LOOK of depth, with properly placed highlights or lowlights, but it won't actually change the structure of your hair.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm going to suggest this: I think you should try it. Go get you some Castor Oil and grease your scalp with it. It is a wonderful thickener...
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• coloring it a darker color will! also get a cut that is shelved in the back, it will appear much thicker!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010