What products are safe for a baby 8 months old to eat?? The baby isle has me confused.

They have juices and some yogurt juices with milk in them in the baby isle and I thought babies under 1 year couldn't have milk, but that's the first ingredient in a lot of the stuff, also the teether biter biscuits are confusing me too. What is okay for my baby to eat?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 9:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just gave my son mashed up fruits and veggies, rice, oatmeal. For crackers, I buy the mum mum rusks. He loves them! I also dont have a problem giving him plain yogurt. I know they say no milk, but I dont go by what "they" say. I dont give juices because its mostly sugar and he just doesnt need it. Good luck!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• my daughter is 8m and i give her little puffs and the lil crunchies by gerber i have given her the yougurt and juice she had a bad allergic reaction to the yougurt and juice drink. um they can have the yougurt melts and just small finger foods that disolve/break up easy like cherios and last week for the first time we gave her toast w. a little bit of butter she loved it! and for the teething bisucits it says 9m but i would give them to my daughter if we had them i just havnt bought them but get whatever ut hink ur baby can handle!
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 9:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My kids were eating a lot of table foods by that time, soft cooked veggies, and soft mushable fruits, cheerios, small pieces of graham crackers, or just those puffs and my kids loved the lil crunchies. I fed them yogurt, fruits, and veggies. I think it's just straight cow's milk that is not appropriate for babies under 1 yr. You can start them on things that contain milk products and they should be ok. Yogurt is good for them. Just no strawberries, egg, nuts, or honey and of course hard foods that are choking hazards. Oh and actually it's just the egg whites that they shouldn't have, they can have egg yolks cooked up.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The sheet our pediatrician gave us said that they could have dairy products like cheese, yogurt, etc. at 8 months. Actual milk, not until 1 year.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My girly is eating anything she can squash between her gums & two tiny teeth. I've given her plain whole fat yogurt, banana, peach, cherries, summer squash, winter squash, green beans, avocado, mango, and a bit of plain oatmeal. I haven't bought anything from the baby aisle...totally unnecessary, in my opinion.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You can always check with your doctor, but dairy is okay before 1 year. Babies just aren't supposed to have milk.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Stay out of the baby food aisle, most of it is just a big marketing gimmick. You are right, baby's don't need juice and the current recommendations are no juice before 1 year. Plus, 100% juice is 100% juice, in the baby food aisle it is just in smaller bottles and has a picture of a baby on it. Same thing for "baby" yogurt. Just buy a big tub of plain whole milk yogurt.
    Any food that baby won't choke on and is not a big allergy risk is fine "baby food".
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• You are right, they cant have straight milk, but they can have dairy :) Teething bisquits are finte at that age, just watch them cause they break. Right now baby can have anything stage 3 (crawler logo) or lower, if you are looking at babyfood and puffs etc. At that age my son was on solely table food. But every kid is different.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You don't need to go down the baby isle at all. Fork mash foods that are high in nutrition and let baby feed itself. Babies less than one shouldn't have honey or cow's milk. The latest recommendations say that babies over 6 mo can have just about any foods even foods that used to be introduced later like peanuts.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2010