To save money, what are some substitutes you are making?

For instance, you can use conditioner instead of shaving cream (works on men too). You can use white (clear) vinegar for a lot of cleaning products and other uses (book, Vinegar: Over 400 Various, Versatile, and Very Good Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of). You can use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins, and wash them instead of tossing paper. Lemon juice can be used for a lot of uses.

joysings

Asked by joysings at 9:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• mostly not buying cleaning supplies and using vinegar and baking soda. Making my own laundry soap....
    Patching up jeans and such.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Cloth diapers. Never used wipes, used the baby wash clothes. I never use any kind of paper plate, throw away cup, etc. I also never use paper towels to clean anything with. These are things I just do, that money wasn't the motivational force behind.
    To specifically save money I use all leftovers. I shop at a discount grocery store, where things are close to being out of date, and use that week. I make my own babyfood. I make my own popsicles for my son from yogurt, fruit and juice (Can buy the big tub of yogurt and add fruit and the juice from canned fruit, then put it in these little popsicle things from Walmart that were like $2.00 for 4). Hmmm....what else do I do? I have this awesome book called the Natural Superwoman by Rosamond Richardson, it gives some awesome ideas of things for cleaner that are natural and cheap.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Make our own cleaners
    Drink only water
    Use cloth napkins and towels
    Don't eat meat

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Cloth diaper, cloth wipes, no paper products (except for toilet paper), I don't shampoo but every few days and even then I water my shampoo and conditioner 50/50, I've never used shaving cream, make my own laundry detergent. I use dish soap, baking soda and vinegar for cleaning, haircuts for our family is given by me, we raise chickens for eggs, garden for fresh produce, buy only recycled clothing from goodwill and thrift shops (on 50% off days).
    KathrynJL

Answer by KathrynJL at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2010