DD attention issues??

My DD even though she is dead tired and it's bedtime sometimes refuses to sleep even with the aid of a bottle. So I put her in her crib and tuck her in, this results in her screaming her head off which the doctor told me to ignore so she doesn't get too overdependent. But then she throws up everywhere and of course I get up to clean her up and she's happy again. Anyone else have this problem?? any ideas on how to fix it? It really tears at my heart having to listen to her scream and then throw up.

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor told you to ignore your child's cries?! What a sh*t excuse for a doctor. As I recall, your daughter is younger than mine & you're not supposed to start sleep-training in the form of CIO intil at least 9 months, if at all. If she is crying to the point where she throws up, you need to tend to her needs.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• She's 7 months now and my DH and I have never really ever had any real sleep issues with her before it's like when she turned 6 1/2 months she started up with the sleep time problems.
    sashasmom159

Comment by sashasmom159 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If you don't want to do cry it out, you don't have to. There are plenty of other ways to help your child learn to sleep. Also, since she screams until she throws up, it sounds like crying it out doesn't work for her, either. For some babies it's great, they fall asleep in minutes and never have any more sleep issues. But for others, it just doesn't work. You can try the Ferber method (there are books at the library or you can look it up online) and there's also a book that quite a few moms recommend called The No Cry Sleep Solution. I haven't read it, but I've heard it's good.

Do you have a bedtime routine? I've found that it helps my children a lot. We do bath, brush teeth, read a story, and then I tuck them in and sing a song. Once my kids have been old enough to roll over, they always roll onto their stomachs to sleep, so then I'd rub their backs when they were little. Good luck!
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Alright, my daughter also started having sleep problems around then - that's totally normal. She could be going through a growth spurt or something. Chloe started this when she started crawling, any new milestones? Don't let her cry if it's hurting you, 'cause it's obviously hurting her, too..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We do have a bedtime routine. It's bath, oil / lotion rubdown after, 2nd stage food, dress, bottle, tuck in.
    sashasmom159

Comment by sashasmom159 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• "so she doesn't get too overdependent." That is crazy!!! She is supposed to be completely dependent on you right now. Does the Dr also think she should fix her own meals, or is it okay for her to be dependent on you for that?

She may be getting over tired and may do better if you put her to bed earlier. Try holding and rocking her for a while. You teach babies to self soothe by you soothing and comforting them, not be leaving them alone to cry.

There is a reason why it is hard for you to listen to her cry, that is your mothering instinct which is not wrong. Don't teach yourself to ignore your gut.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Don't do it! Human infants are supposed to be dependent. Physicians are not trained in parenting and should not be giving parenting advice when they don't know what they are talking about.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2010