Should I Have my baby shower after my pregancy or when I am pregnant

So I was thinking of having my baby shower before my baby comes because I had some terrific ideas and because I won't want very many people visiting me after my pregnancy. Then I wanted guests to actually see my baby at the shower. What should I do.

mommyofamanda8

Asked by mommyofamanda8 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think whatever works best for whoever is throwing your shower. If you are doing it yourself it would be an open house or welcome home party AFTER the baby is born.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think its better after the baby is born. Then everyone knows for sure what you had.... boy or girl. Everyone can see the little sweetheart too.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I agree with the above poster. Someone else needs to throw a shower for you, and if you'd like to throw a party yourself, then after the baby is born will be nice- call it a meet the baby party or open house or whatever. You'll be tired then, so if you can get preparations done ahead of time it would be helpful. or also if you can have someone lend a hand it would help.

Answer by Bmat at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• whichever you prefer and feel up to- knowing the sex of the baby helps pic out color stuff...
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My church family had mine planned, then I was in the hospital the Sunday it was scheduled. So it was postponed and the baby was there. Very fun. However, my family and friends had it before that.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I nested towards the end of my pregnancy and had lots of energy to unwrap and wash and set all the baby shower gifts up for baby before arrival time. I didnt know with either of my kids what I was having and it was ok. For me it really was nice to have everything in place when baby came home. Its a little more difficult after baby is home to find that kind of energy again. Plus,,,it was really fun setting everything up and being so excited. You can always have a welcome party after baby comes home. I didnt have many people over once baby was home. I just needed the space and time to be with my baby. Good luck!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think before baby is born so you know what you still need and you can get the stuff before baby is born because there are somethings you need before the baby gets here like a carseat.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• We are anti-begging for gifts. After our daughter was born, we had an open house to introduce her to the people we love.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'd do it before, but since often these showers are done near the expected end of the pregnancy, you may end up having a baby there anyway. that's how it was with my brother- he showed up early, so the shower got postponed about a week and he was the guest star.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think it's good to have the shower before baby arrives, that way you have all the things you need and can get everything ready before the birth. Nesting becomes very important in that last trimester. I had to have everything in perfect order and ready :) You could always have a little get together like a welcome baby party or something- some people do that, I wouldn't though because I wouldn't want a bunch of people holding the baby and germifying him/her. You can send out announcements with a picture and the important people can visit.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010