since i had a dui in the past. should i expect that no family would ever hire me as a nanny ..

if i do go on an interview. should i be upfront about it? or should i wait for them to get to knw me a little bit before judging me. then find out when they run my background. it was over 2yrs ago and my blood level was.08 right on the damn legal limit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• be up front about it.
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I will answer you honestly. If I were interviewing you, the DUI would be a big negative. I might still consider hirring you if other things serioously outweighed it (like if you and my son interacted really really well, and you had excellent references, stuff like that). But only for live-out, and I would probably never trust you to drive my son anywhere.

As for whether or not to be upfront, I run background checks on anyone who watches Felipe, and if something came up that the interviewee hadn't told me about, there is no way I would consider hiring them, no matter what. So I would not advise keeping quite about it.

I am sorry you are in this situation - I don't know the details but I know sometimes all it takes is one stupuid mistake and your record is stained forever, even if you have led an immaculate life aside from that one mistake. But when it comes to children, parents have to be so so so careful. Good luck 2 u
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If it was only 2 years ago, I would think twice about it. But I would also look at what you have done since then. If you have stayed sober, then I would look at your education and experience working with kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would be upfront and honest. I would say I made a lapse in judgment, I was right on the legal limit. I believe in being up front and honest so I am sharing this with you so that if it would affect your hiring of me I do not waste your time or my own. I would certainly never drink around your children and I am now much more careful with any drinks I have on my own time. Perhaps your being up front will make you stand apart from others. Good luck.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I don't know that nobody would hire you, but I wouldn't. There are so many nannies available, that it would be easy to find one that doesn't drink and drive. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my daughter with someone I couldn't see as responsible.

But, I would also be upfront. If I hired someone and later found out they had a DUI they lied about (and not telling is a lie), I would be furious.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would personally tell them up front. if they found out later, and I assume that a background check would reveal it, I think most would assume you were trying to hide it.
    this way you could tell them the details of it- they may not get that in a background check.
    but, since we are talking about peoples kids here, I also would be surprised if some people take issue with it.

good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I might would hire you anyway if everything else was okay. I would want to know the circumstances though. When I was younger I was at a club with friends and the local police were doing breath tests so people could learn what their limit is. I was shocked to learn my limit was less than 1 margarita! I am petite and back then I was very thin as well. I have always been grateful for those police officers. I know for a fact that there were times before then when I drove while over the limit..even though I only had 1 or 2 drinks when I would go out. Since then I have kept it to a glass of wine or a beer if I am driving.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'd be upfront and honest because then you'd have a chance to tell your side of the story. If I did a background check and that came up on you I'd probably not even give you a call back and you wouldn't have a chance to explain yourself. I'd be upfront and honest and it would depend on if you still drank or not and if you have a problem with alcohol. If you do then you shouldn't work with kids if that was a once in a life time mistake then explain that to them and explain what you learned from it all. It pretty much depends on the circumstance.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010