Best advice you were ever given from your father about relationships?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Well one thing that sticks in my mind is when I started dating my hubs my dad's idea of the dad-daughter sex talk was "keep your pants up and don't get pregnant".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• The best advice is communication, cause if you do not have that you have nothing at all. when ever there is a problem talk it out, weither you disagree or not just thinking logical and at the end the one that sounds the best go with that.
    Giving780

Answer by Giving780 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Great question. Bump for this one....now let me think.
    Back in his wild days, he said to me....Is he thinking with the right head? LMAO
    But as we both grew, he tells me I am just like him and patience is aquired with age.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If I remember right he said to have fun and enjoy each other. he and my mom were always in a hurry to do the next thing- even on their honeymoon.
    she still brags that they covered about 2000 miles on their honeymoon.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• There are some men that are not men "just a pair of pants."
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My dad told me that you can tell how a man will treat you by the way he treats his mother. My husband adores/respects/provides for his mother and he treats me like a queen so I agree.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 11:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It wasn't said or ever given as "advice". My father told me while I was going through my divorce from my dick of a first husbnad, that he was always worried about. I couldn't take care of myself and he was afraid that I would always need someone to look after me. That I would always pick the wrong guys because I needed someone to take care of me. I was only 22 and it made me feel very ashamed and pathetic. I don't think that is how he meant it but that is the way it made me feel. Fast forward 14yrs and I am nowmarried with 5kids. I'm the one that takes care of everybody and makes sure that we always have what we need. I've come along way from that needy 22yr old. The only down fall from his "advice"-I never ask for help from anyone. I feel too ashamed that I can't take care of things myself so I always make sure that I have everything under control. It drives my husband crazy and he thinks I need to loosen up-lol.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Concentrate on books not boys! lol

You learn this now so you dont need to depend on some stupid guy! (meaning oil change, chopping wood, construction, tire change etc..)
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• He always told me "Don't let them run you, you run you and No one else does".
    SarahLouise508

Answer by SarahLouise508 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My father didn't give me advice, he did something even better.  He set the bar by which every man I dated had to measure up to and I married the only one that could measure up. 

I have been happily married for 22 years because my father loved me unconditionally and always supported me and so does my husband.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010