Teenager coming to stay - I'm clueless, give me some ideas?

I'm only 27 myself but I am SO out of touch with teenagers these days as my children aren't there yet. However next week we've got a 15 year old coming to stay for a little while. The back-story is that her mother is a member of our church and the 15 year old became pregnant a few months ago and her mother feels that she needs some time to get her head around the situation for a while. So I'm not sure how long the time period will be. I've been told by people who know her that she is a very good girl, doesnt' have an attitude at all BUT they've told me nothing on her interests or hobbies. And her mother is quite quiet on any subject we ask her about. Anyone got any ideas on what teenagers like these days and how to make her feel welcome? Thank you.

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 10:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i hope they dont want her to give her baby up for adoption.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• movies, music, shopping...the typical. Hope everything works out xox
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• In answer to your comment PURPULbutterfily I don't think they do, no, she's coming to live with us to learn how to deal with children as much as anything! I'm pretty sure she's looking to keep her baby.
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• get her an ipod she would love it if she dont have one already! also she being a mom give her mom to mom advice, thats the best gift u could give her...
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• purple that was horrible for you to assume that about her
    DeeMarie87

• You could introduce to CafeMom. She could learn a thing or two around here. ;-)

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• what the hell is wrong with adoption???? seriously now!!! ugh that just ticks me off!!

to answer the question...just allow her some space maybe play some board games with her, take her shopping and talk, get to know eachother that way. just take it slow she is going through some things right now and in the fall really get into a teen mom school program in your area. she will open up with time and there might even be a "testing" phase, remember her horomones are going to off the charts..I was a pregnant teen myself and it is hard emotionally....
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The main thing is..make sure she can communicate with her friends with her cell phone..or computer,etc..
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• A fifteen year old who is pregnant is not exactly "a very good girl".

I would find out what she needs: parenting class, breastfeeding class, adoption information, a GED class, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'd personally give her a day or so to settle in and then sit down and seriously ask her what her interests are. Ask her what she likes to do for fun, if there is a hobby she'd like to try. Remember that she is 15 and will still need rules and boundaries. Good luck and God bless you for what you are doing. (As for the Cafemom idea - you have to be 16 to be a Cafemom member).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010