weaning from bottle to cup

I'd like some advice from the more experienced moms!! My son is turning 1 in just 2 weeks, and he's actively refusing to give up his bottle. When he was about 6 months old, I started trying to teach him drink from a sippy cup or from a straw or regular cup. He loved to play with them, and was able to take a few sips on multiple occasions, but he just prefers his bottle, and I didn't push it (hoped he would catch on by himself). I've tried about 7 different cup styles, different drinks (milk, juice, water), I drink out one of them with each meal (trying to role-model). For the last 2 months, he's getting more stubborn about it - refusing to take sips from anything besides his bottle and becoming clearly annoyed when I try to encourage him to take a sip . Since he's turning 1 soon, I'm wondering if I should take a just take a cold-turkey approach and just take away his bottle now, before he gets even more stubborn/attached.

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 10:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son went cold turkey. When he turned 1 I moved to Tennessee for a year and when I was on that airplane, I made sure to throw away any bottles left and I have since gave him only sippy cups so that he wouldn't have any other choice. It worked out perfectly!! Keep in mind, I didn't have him on the sippy cup AT ALL before he turned one so when he first had his sippy cups, he actually welcomed it. Worked for me :)
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 10:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Nubby makes sippy cups that have silicone type nipples that are a very easy transition. I know I got mine at Wal Mart.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• for a bit my DD was like that and I just would give her sips out of my regular cup...and then she back tracked to the sippy. don't know if that will work, but it's worth a try!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I say go cold turkey. My sister did this with both her kids at 1 ear of age and she didn't even prep them like you did. If he is thirsty enough he will drink from a cup. GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I use the Nuby ones too for my 13 month old. My daughter wouldn't take a single cup, and I have probably 15 different ones in my kitchen right now. I ended up finding them for 1.00 on Ebay and they are pretty good. Definitely the closest you're going to find to an actual bottle, but still a cup. They're also the largest soft tipped cups I have found, at 10 ounces.

Be forwarned, my daughter did manage to open the cup after about 5 minutes, but that has only happened one time. Since giving her the Nuby cups, she has started to take to the other cups a lot better as well.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 10:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My son does this sometimes with new things. I usually just back off for a few days or a week and then try again. It's not going to kill him if he's still no a bottle at 1. :-) My son went to sippy cup easily, but self feeding things that are "slimy" has been a bit of an issue. I did try the Nuby ones and have had GREAT success with those. Good luck.
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Honestly, I don't understand everyone's obsession with taking bottles away. Sippys are just like bottles except they look more grown up. I never forced either of my children off of the bottle. I waited for them to give it up voluntarily. My oldest did it at 2.5 years old and my youngest at 16 months. I had mine till I was 4.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• cold turkey...
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 9:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• well i just change mt daughter from a bottlle to a sippy cup! she cry and she refused to take it but now she is doing great!! My advice is just to take it away!! thats it! cold turkey like u said!
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 6:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• my son just turned one and he uses a sippy cup during the day but sometimes at nap and every night he gets really crabby and wants his bottle so i give it to him. I remember with my first son the day he turned one he was done with the bottle, actually i think it was alittle before 1, but now with my second son it seems i just want to let him be a baby longer so im not so worried about getting rid of it. Forsure by 18 mths though!
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010