Can this really happen???

Today I went to the doctors to the down syndrome testing because at my docs office they do it to everyone and well my child was being stubborn and did not want to flat so that they could get the measurements of the neck. So I was there for three hrs trying to do this test because I am 13 weeks and they could not postpone it but while we were moving the baby to get the position they needed the baby showed its gender very clearly that it was a boy but I thought it was to soon too tell. Have any of you found it this early should I wait till I go back at 16 weeks or should I just be excited that I am having a boy. I am just scared that I go stir crazy buying things and it ends up being a girl

lazo060109

Asked by lazo060109 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would wait, that's pretty early to tell for sure.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that's a bit early to tell....I wouldn't go out and buy stuff quite yet. If they suspect DS you'll be having more sonos than just this one. My baby boy currently (@37wks) came back with an abnormal quad marker and it was for a 1 in 10 chance of DS. We went to the specialist AT LEAST 3 other times. I hope everything works out! xo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• well what did the dr say about it?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Check out this site, according to this, the male and female genitalia look the same at that time and they don't fully form until 20 wks.
    http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I have always heard that when determining gender they are much more accurate with boys (98%) and that most gender errors are boys (when the ultrasound predicted a girl.). I guess because male "equipment" is so much more obvious.

But this just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I sure wouldn't go painting any rooms blue yet!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• The doctor confirmed it I even have the picture to show it but I am just so shocked that I found out so soon....the doc says that they have updated the machines to predict sooner...and they do not suspect down syndrome its just procedure with my doctor she does that test on all of her pregnancies. She did tell me that I was going to have an ultrasound done at 16 weeks again. The reason why I am having so many ultrasounds it because I am a high risk pregnancy I suffer from epilepsy. I just did not what to think but the doctor seemed pretty convinced
    lazo060109

Comment by lazo060109 (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My OB told me 15-16 weeks is the norm, but they can tell a bit earlier with boys sometime. Congrats Mama
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 10:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• well with ds there was no hiding it. my sister and i saw it before the tech said it was a boy... but that was later in the preg so i dunno.... like a pp said, they look the same for a while but if the doc said it too then id take it
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Doctors have been wrong in the past. A couple years ago a doctor in my hometown told a couple they were having a boy but they end up suing the doctor since she gave birth to a girl. I would wait if I were you.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 10:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2010