my dh thinks my son is over eating, is he?

okay my son was 8lbs 6 oz when he was born, when he was 3 wks old he was drinkin four ounces of similac sensitve, now he's 2 months he demands more. i gave him a 6 oz bottle and he finished the whole thing and my dh said he's just being greedy, is that true? what is the right amount for his age? I have a 3 yr old and she was breastfed so he's a learning experience to me.

angelsmommy0721

Asked by angelsmommy0721 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies do have growth spurts....maybe he's just on one right now and it'll calm down. If he's not having tons of spit up then I would say it's fine.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• yes my son drank about 7oz at that age
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• No, that's definitely normal! Babies generally go through a growth spurt at 2 months and require more to eat. When your 3yo was breastfeeding at 2 months, she most likely cluster fed to up your supply because of the growth :) Your son sounds perfectly normal!
    chloesmom714

Answer by chloesmom714 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• he doesnt spit up at all, im just trying to find a way to explain to my dh this....
    angelsmommy0721

Comment by angelsmommy0721 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• sounds normal to me. he's still an infant and still needs all that nutrition. I am sure the pediatriation will calm down your husband and explain why.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 10:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I dunno 6oz seems ALOT to me, but I BF my DD- when I'm away she get 21/2 - 3oz bottles every few hours- she's 8 months :)
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• your baby knows how much it needs. when its not hungry or thirsty anymore, it will stop. if it is hungry, feed it. period. your baby is not going to overeat and its not greedy and that is the most silly and ridiculous thing ive ever heard and im sorry but you need to tell your dh to shut up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If hes not spitting it up then he needs all that food. Babies can eat a lot at times. Your husband will learn this...
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Even though you are FF this time around, the "feed on demand" principle still applies. In general 24-32 ounces is considered normal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son ate 6oz at a time. My pedi said that was fine. Hes never been overweight. He should get 2 to 2.5 ounces, per pound of body weight per 24 hour period. So a 10lb baby would need 20 to 25 ounces a day.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010