Entertainment or education...children activities

I am conducting research on the various enrichment programs offered to the early childhood group. As a parent which program would you sign your child up for:

1) Music: Piano for preschoolers
2) Math/Science: Lego inspired
3) Language: Spanish immersion class

Thank you

NYStateofMind

Asked by NYStateofMind at 10:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 4 yr old loves music so I would put her in Piano for Preschoolers. She also loves learning Spanish though..... tough one!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• It would depend on the child. Dh and I have believed in letting our kids dictate what activities and programs they're in. Even from a young age they get to influence the choices we made for such things. My oldest would have loved a math/science program inspired by Legos. At 8 and heading into 3rd grade he'd still love such a program. My youngest would probably have nixed any of these and one with an art class or a physical activity.

As a parent, I'm not sure about the piano program for younger kids. It's my understanding that children under a certain age lack the coordination and hand size to play properly. We were told by two different professional muscians to hold off on lessons until the child was closer to 7 or 8.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• funny, I thought I answered this last night.

I said choice two, but that's based specifically on my older son's interests. for a different kid I might have a different answer.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010