Entertainment or education...activities for children

I am conducting research on the various enrichment programs offered to the early childhood group. As a parent which program would you sign your child up for:

1) Music: Piano for preschoolers
2) Math/Science: Lego inspired
3) Language: Spanish immersion class

Thank you

NYStateofMind

Asked by NYStateofMind at 10:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• When my son was much younger I forced him to take piano lessons because I thought he would grow to enjoy it and it would help him in life. He grew to resent it and the moment I gave him the option to stop (he was 12) he quit. He hasn't touched a piano to my knowledge since. On the other hand he decided in elementary school he wanted to play clarinet for the school band and he stuck with that all through high school and I never pressured him about it.

When my son was 12 he did a lego inspired robotics class for a gifted and talented program he was in. It was expensive but he was really interested in it so I agreed to sign him for the course which was at a nearby college. He really enjoyed the program and it was what first got him interested in his field of study, computer science. Think about your child's interests and use those to make your decision
    elizJ

Answer by elizJ at 10:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I did all three of those at different ages for each of my kids. Although, I did the piano lessons in elementary school d/t being able to understand how to read music. I think it depends on the individual kid and their age. My daughter is bilingual.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would choose #3 for our children! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 12:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2010