what do you consider a decent curfew time for a 14 yearold?

he's not the best behaved and not much to do in our neighborhood but get into trouble. he is going to highschool this year so I need to start giving him a little more freedom.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 11:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Around here the law states anyone under 16 who isn't coming home from school sponsored activities, work or with an adult has to be indoors by 10pm. Depending on your kid and what they will be doing, where they will be going, I would say between 9 and 10...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• if he's not behaving and getting into trouble...the last thing you need to give him is more freedom.....
    School nights 9pm, weekends...11pm or whenever your towns' curfew is for minors....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Just because he's going into high school does NOT mean you have to give him more freedom...especially if he's misbehaving and getting into trouble. Its not the age of the child that should dictate what they should/shouldn't be able to do...its should be their maturity and responsibility level. I'd say like 9 or 9:30.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• i say 10 is good
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I say 10 on weekends...and if he's getting into trouble, take some of that time away. When he shows you that he can be responsible and trustworthy, you can give him a little more freedom.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I never set a specific curfew for my son, and that was throughout high school. I judged what he was doing case by case. Like if he wanted to go out on a week night and he didnt have any homework or anything super important going on in school the next day and he was going to be with other responsible kids i would say maybe 11, then again if he had a test the next day and had homework to be done and wanted to go hang out with some kids I didnt know well then i would say be home by 8 or 9 when he was 14. Those numbers kind of shifted through high school but same principle
    elizJ

Answer by elizJ at 11:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My kids were home and in bed by 9 PM during the school year and during the summer, they had part time jobs and were at home ,in bed by about 10:30 pm. They rarely "hung out with friends" , uness one of them had a date but that was usually a bunch of kids getting together. Otherwise, they were with us,...unless their friends came over to our house. They didn't have cars and they were "homebodies". In other words, they didn't feel the need to "escape" and go out at night.
    We didn't need to actually have a curfew and they were easy going,well behaved kids. BUT they knew we expected them to be good kids and we showed them,by example, the way to live a good, trouble- free life. They went off to college and we just hoped that they were mature and were smart enough to stay out of trouble when they were on their own. and they were.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Dang I would say for a 14 year old, 9 on weekends and 8 on school days.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• At 14, my daughter never went out at night during the school year, except for events, and in the summer if she wasn't at a friend's sleeping over, it was around 10 pm.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Going into high school is not the magic time for more freedom!! AND you've already stated that he's not the best behaved......I wouldn't change a thing. To me a Curfew should be based on ACTIONS not AGE!!!
    If he's going to act immature, then he gets an early curfew IF you allow him out at all.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010