how can i get my dog to stop smelling?

10 yearold golden retriever that is bathed quite often at the groomers but she just stinks. Could it be a medical issue? have tried numerous deodorizers more frequent baths, nothing works. our house is starting to stink as well.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 11:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Pets

• Is it from her mouth? When the teeth aren't kept up and go bad it smells terrible.

I did think Kris at first this said "How can I get my dog to stop smiling" LOL
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Could it be her breath? Teeth problems can cause bad breath. Ask the vet?

Answer by Bmat at 11:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I would take your dog to the vet and have him checked out - it could be a tumor, not necessarily a bad one, or something causing the smell. Or maybe he needs his anal glands expressed - but I think the groomer would know about that.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• sounds gross but smell his ears to see if it's stronger there, if it is, that means he has an ear infection. Could be yeast or bacterial so if that's where the smell is coming from, take him to the vet
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Talk to the vet...I know frequent bathing is actually not good for some dogs....and it could be bad teeth....does the groomer have any suggestions??? It could be medical...again talk to the vet. I have known many goldens and I don't think any of them ever really smelled bad...
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I think some dogs just stink. My lab mix can have a bath and be clean...go outside to pee a few hours later...and then he smells like crap again until his next bath. He's old (11 yrs) and it seems to have gotten worse with age. My Boston terrier has no smell at all.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Have the vet check his teeth, problems with teeth can cause odor problems. Also what type of bedding does he sleep in? If they bedding isn't kept clean the dog can smell bad. I know it can be hard to keep clean but could be part of the problem. Dog food can also be a problem. It can be causing an allergy that is making him smell bad or if it's cheaper dog food it can make them smell bad also. You might try switching to a different brand and see if that helps at all.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 1:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree that finding the source of the smell is the first step. SOmetimes it is teeth or even ear infections. Some dogs tend to get a foul smell to their skin though as they age, I have noticed this more with retrievers, hounds, and spaniels than other breeds. Sometimes a change in diet can help.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Could be the shampoo that the groomer is using. I can't stand the smell of dog shampoos. They are way too perfumy. I prefer to use baby shampoo.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My cocker spaniel smelled AWFUL when we saw her at the shelter for the first time. She had a yeast infection in her ears.... I'd take her to the vet to check her ears and teeth.
    VeganMuslimah

Answer by VeganMuslimah at 10:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2010