iPad for children

What are your thoughts about getting an iPad for your child?

NYStateofMind

Asked by NYStateofMind at 11:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think that is ridiculous to be honest. You would literally need to have money to burn.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Seriously? A 3-4 year old DOES NOT NEED AN IPAD! They should be outside playing or something! Not to mention those things are freaking expensive! That is completely not age-appropriate, nor is it necessary, and is ridiculous IMO.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• not for a 3-4 year old. it's basically a flat laptop, 3 year olds should play in the sandbox, not with electronics
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Holy cow...WAY to expensive for a child that age. Yes, my son used a laptop at that age (and an iPod nano 3G), but there is no way I would let him use an iPad. It is all touch-screen, and little kids are rough.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Mine is 7 and lucky to have a Wii....granted he uses the computer alot-but that is mine not his...no--get your child outside. The computer is not a bad idea for educational games-but limit the time spent on it....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• My thoughts are that a 3-4 year old can utilize many other educational toys. They tend to be rough on things and would most likely accidentally break an $800-$1000 "toy." Let's be honest here, unless you are raising a certified genius (I mean CERTIFIED) then a 3-4 year old doesn't really get "this is for learning, "not a toy." Sure, your child might get that they need to be careful with it, but accidents happen, more often with a 3-4 year old.

anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 11:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• For the preschooler only? I can see it for getting the touch concepts, looking at their photos, reading or "watching" books. If you are wanting pre K exposure, I see lots of silly math quiz games, letter making. The case makes a tilt up stand for the ipad, making it great from table top use. I can see a preschooler getting the concept this is fragile and it needs to stay on the desk or table or lap.

We have an I Pad for the family. I have collected a few apps for each of the kids such as sight words, marvel comics, The Elements which is that neat periodic table book, a few books, Virtuoso which is a free key board app, neat apps for drawing pads.

Programs like Proloquo2 for the non verbal child is still pricey for the iphone and ipad, but I think a lot of neat apps will be coming.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• WHERE GETTING DD A IPOD TOUCH ....LESS EXPENSIVE ......YOU CAN GET ALL THE APPS LIKE AN IPHONE....WHY NOT BUY A LAPTOP FROM A PAWN SHOP ETC? ITS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING .....AND WHEN YOUR CHILD IS IN SCHOOL THERE GOING TO NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE A MOUSE ETC ....SO YOU SHOULD JUST GET A LAP TOP WITH A USB MOUSE .....
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think that a preschooler is too young to be responsible for such an expensive gadget and will not take care of it properly either. There are toys for children that would be better suited for children of those ages. All they need to do is drop it and that would be the end of the gadget or like my son did when he was young drop the phone in the tub. Bye,bye phone.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i think thats not a toy for a 3-4 yr old
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 6:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2010