baby teeth

dd is 11 months with almost 6 teeth. i really want to keep them strong and healthy. my question is reguarding our bedtime routine. is it ok to nurse her though out the night? i know that you cant put a child t bed wth a bottle so how is nursing any better? Sorry my older child was bottle fed so i havent faced this before. it just seems like maybe i should try to get her used to drinking water in the night now... although honestly she only nurses for comfort is my feeling on the whole thing... what is your advice? thanks in advance!

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that the reason you aren't supposed to give a baby a bottle at night is because they can fall asleep with it in their mouths and the milk will continue to drip on their teeth...which would cause an issue. I don't know if that's really the case or not but that's what I've heard.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I nursed all my kids, at night i gave them water in a bottle until 1 1/2 gave it to them in a cup
    Soldierwife7

Answer by Soldierwife7 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• As long as you brush baby's teeth before bed, it is fine to let baby nurse to sleep and during the night. You want to brush to get of any food particles, but breastmilk alone will not cause tooth decay. Also the sucking and where the milk goes is different from a bottle "An actively sucking baby at the breast is also swallowing, so milk does not pool in the mouth and against the teeth, as it does when a child falls asleep while drinking from a bottle" See Early Childhood Caries: New Knowledge Has Implications for Breastfeeding Families

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Also, the bottle has a drip without sucking. The breast does not do that and does not pose the same risk. My kids' teeth are perfect and they were nursed through the night until the age of 1 1/2!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• They just dont want the milk pooling in thier mouth and sittin on thier teeth. I dont think that heppens with breastfeeding. They have to keep sucking to get the breastmilk. A bottle will let it leak out.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2010