My 2 little kids 3 & 20 mos don't sleep at night. I am expecting in November.

my husband and i sleep on the upper level of our home in 1 room and my 3yr and 20 mo old sleep in the next room together on the upper level also. 1 in toddler bed, 1 in a crib. I have a room on the main level all set up for my 3 yr old only she doesnt want to sleep in it yet cuz she's scared. My 20 mo old hasn't slept thru the night (minus a few) in forever. He wakes about 1-3 am crying and in an effort to get sleep I bring him into my bed. My 3 yr old sometimes stays in her bed all night and sometimes is up at night either with her brother or at a different time. Now I don't know what to do because I want to get them to stay in their beds (rooms) all night esp since there will be another baby in 4 months. I can't seem to bring myself to let my 20 mo old cry it out and at the same time deal with his sister who needs to be in her room. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

renees5

Asked by renees5 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• you could reward them for every time they sleep in there beds, say i will take you to get ice cream if you sleep in your bed for a whole night and if they do it make it longer say a week then so on.
    Soldierwife7

Answer by Soldierwife7 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• one thing i recommend as far as moving the 4 year old is try sleeping in the new room with her (or having daddy if you are too uncomfortble due to pregnancy) do that until she has slept through the night without waking up for at least 3 days straight. then go in and do the normal night time routine but leave once she has fallen asleep. get a baby monitor so you can hear her if she wakes in the night. then once she is used to going to bed with you there and waking alone start leaving the room a little earlier each night. before you know it she will be sleeping in the room just fine. i dont think it will take 4 months but if it does you will be used to it... hope this helps...
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• oh sorry i meant 3 year old... also i do agree with the special thing.... i am not a big sugar fan though so i get things at the dollar store.. just little toys that are very cheap. i keep a lot on hand. again once she gets used to it start doing a sticker type thing. if she sleeps in the new room for so many nights with out a problem then she gets to redeem a prize (from the dollar store stash) and the stickers help keep track of when she complied. good luck!
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• What time do your kids go to bed? Maybe if you put your kids in bed a little later. The 20 month old needs to be sleeping in his bed, not yours. You just might have to let him cry it out. But he probably won't get the message as long as you keep letting him into your bed. Does one of them bother the other at night? You could make the downstairs bedroom for the older kids and let the bedroom beside you be the babies room. That way your daughter won't be so lonely in her room.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2010