Do you still believe in the American dream?

and what is it to you?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the American dream is the right to work for the life you choose.

and yes, I believe in it.

Me too and yes I believe in it!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's opportunity. There are a lot of things I don't like about our country, but I also have SO much to be grateful for: I'm not rich but I've never gone hungry, I've had a great education, I appreciate the general value system of the Americans around me and what I have been taught, I have the opportunity to travel and learn about other places, I'm married to a man who values me as an equal..... And so many other things. I don't believe money is everything, but for some people who are seeking opportunities for a fuller life, the American dream is a reality. It's not heaven, but it is full of many wonderful opportunities. I can say that, having spent time in lots of other countries.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think with the current state of the economy the dream is changing. What was my dream 30 some odd years ago, as a newly graduated and licensed RN , and what was easily accomplished through honest work, effort and motivation at that time, is very different from what most can expect to accomplish today with the same level of education (or more), dedication, motivation and honest hard work. Opportunities are vastly different for young adults today vs 20-30 years ago.

Is getting a good education, working hard, being motivated and a good honest person, and expecting to be employable an indication of entitlement? Are jobs with health care benefits too much to ask? Are educated folks expected to work at McDonalds and to live with 5 other ff workers, forever? And be happy doing so?

Would that be your dream?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• "I think the American dream is the right to work for the life you choose."

--

I ♥ this! And a big thumbs up to Adelicious! She said what I would have, but she put it so elegantly, that I won't even attempt to out do her ;)
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am living my dream not sure if it is what everyone would consider the American dream. I am happily married and have a great kid. We own a nice home that is fully paid for and have great neighbors. My husband loves his job and I love being home. We have no debt and a healthy savings and retirement account. My life isn't perfect but compared to my insane childhood it is pretty great. 

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes I do, am living it,simple frown but i feel that Obama is out to destroy it.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When I was younger, I used to think the American Dream was only for presidents lmao. Now though, I feel that it is freedom, and yes I still believe in it because we still have it. Heck, I helped defend it! lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with Sister, the American dream is changing.
    Its getting more and more difficult for young people. Many young adults who have worked hard, obtained a college education can't get jobs,or live on their own, in the lifestyle that they were raised. Last week a nearby hospital hired 25 nurses from India, offering them 3 year contracts and housing, while local new grad nurses are seeking work. Hiring nurses from India for less money hurts everyone, mostly the patient. New graduate teachers, computer specialists, engineers are among a few who can't find work. My son-in-law is a headhunter for a Manhattan firm. It's getting more and more difficult for educated, goal oriented people to reach their dream. The key to success today is NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, BUT WHO YOU KNOW! That's Not the America I grew up in nor the dream I want for my grandchildren.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Without a doubt! If you work hard and don't let others get you down you can do anything you set your mind to in this country! It's never easy! Even in the best economic times there's always a time of struggle, but it's how you work through that struggle that's a testiment to your character!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I had a longer answer typed in...and was getting a bit wordy, so I deleted it. I'll just say...no. I'm happy, don't get me wrong. But what is the american dream? Having a lot of stuff? That's what it seems to be anymore - at least in the media. It's kind of sad, really. I could go on, but my son is getting up in 6 hours and it's way past my bed-time. Time to go have some "dreams" of my own lol
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2010