He keeps bringing the baby in the bed...

I co-slept for the first 6 months
after I felt confident that my baby was strong enough to roll over, crawl, make adjustments when sleeping I started putting him in the crib.

I used to bring him in bed to nurse then put him back in the crib. He would wake up 1-2 times a night. Now My SO either tries to go to sleep with him in the bed or brings him the bed mi-way thru the night. He's 8 months now and I had a routine going but it was ruined unfortunately.

In fact my son is in the bed w/SO right now...

What to do? Should I just continue the co-sleeping since SO is apparently resisting my attempts of crib sleeping?

Should I let him come to bed after he wakes up the first time?

what did you do to transition better?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 2:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you are fortunate to have a partner who is tuned-in to our normal instinctive nature.
    Sounds like he has gotten used to this method.
    Maybe he doesn't have enough time with baby in the daytime (this is a common way to add more time).
    He doesn't have to worry abot baby's safety when baby is right there, too.

What a Nurturer... awesome~

Sounds like you guys need to lay all your cards on the table and openly discus pros & cons to either side. Discuss why it's important to you (both).
    Best wishes.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think you are very lucky to have a SO who loves co sleeping :) I would talk to him explain why you feel your ready to stop co sleeping and hear out why he isnt ready. We are a co sleeping family but we both agreed to it and when we did transition we discussed it, sometimes he was ready before i was lol. You need to find out why he wants to continue co sleeping. My first two didnt transition until they were 3 and my youngest will be 6 in two weeks and still spends at least 4 nights a week in our bed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am with your SO. I love co-sleeping. I sleep better knowing my precious DS is safe next to me. If needs me I can respond and if got forbid something should happen in the night (break-in or fire) he is there next to me and I can protect him.

I can't even begin to tell you how to transition, I can't bring myself to do it and DS will be 2 in September.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Aw that's too cute. Have you talked to your SO about why he's doing this? I think it's something the two of you need to discuss.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i think that its not a big deal, life is so short, all you have is now, let him have his moments and you have yours, ya know, is it really a big deal, it doesnt last forever thats for sure, this is all you get no turning back the clocks, take in every moment you can with your precious baby, just laugh and let it go, i would say ok but the baby is going on your side, kiss kiss hug hug sleep sleep. dont worry so much, whats a few years compared to a lifetime without them in your bed, i dread the day mine dont wanna come snuggle with me in bed, even if it is to use me to warm their toes, or watch cartoons in bed. these moments dont last forever so make them the best ever!!!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Awww that is sweet and i completely understand, its one of the reason we did it for so long. I loved having my kids next to me at night. I guess the real question is why do you want to transition now? Is it because you want your bed back? or because youve been told if you dont do it now they will never go to their beds? or some other reason?

How does your SO feel about your reasons for transitioning now?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• can i marry your so (jk) my ex is using cosleeping against me.... so im jealous. that was one big problem between us. i wanted to cosleep and my ex didnt. as far as what to do. i agree with others... talk to so and find out why he is doing it then decide from there.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Continue to co-sleep. Your baby is only small once, enjoy it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes I have talked to him about it.
    He says he likes to sleep cuddling his son and it's easier.
    so I am either going to have to nip this in the bud now or just allow it. I don't know :(
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 2:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well, we agreed to transition to crib two months ago. I had a good night/day routine going and everything. Well one time he was being a jackass and he decided to stay elsewhere (his gpa's) for a week-end. He came back and was all sad that he mised out on so much time with his son, and then he decided to co-sleep again.

He didn't inform me of this. He just kept bringing him to bed. I didn't realize he was going to try everynight. He even goes to bed with him, if I'm up, I'll come in to put our son in his crib, and he'll tell me not to because he's(our son) is not asleep all of the way. pff It's probably the other way around. But even if I move our son to the crib he always ends up back in bed at some point when I'm sleeping.

I want to have him in the crib because 1. it's 3 feet away 2. We don't have a huge bed and one side keeps going numb since I can't roll a bunch 3. I feel like this can be habitual much later
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2010