why is looking for a job so hard :(

I applied at over 40 places, and I got nada, I even got emails stating I'm not qualified, or they just filled the position

kittenripmaygo

Asked by kittenripmaygo at 2:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I applied to all the places within 3 days I forgot to add that
    kittenripmaygo

Comment by kittenripmaygo (original poster) at 2:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Give it some time. Most places will take a little time to go through the applications. Hang in there, something will come along that is suited for you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's so HARD, because it is a JOB!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 3:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• There are lots of great tips and resources in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• OP--What are your credentials/degrees, and what kinds of jobs are you looking for? Are you willing to look outside of your specialty and take an entry level job, even PT, but where there is opportunity for upward growth--into management and above positions?

Is your resume professional and updated? Do you leave copies of your resume and business card with the place of employment or interviewer (you can make/print them all right from your computer--office supply companies have all of the stationary, templates and perforated cards you could need!)

DO you go dressed for the job interview you WANT--not just the job you HOPE to get--even if it's just a "walk in" inquiry or application? How do you carry yourself-are you confident and business-like? Do you promptly send a handwritten "thank you for the interview" note?

Even if you're turned down THIS time, all of your info may stay on file, and you may get a call back! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I was looking for almost 2 years before I found my job. It was seriously discouraging for a long time. It's hard not to take the rejections personally. My mother kept telling me "If you didn't get it then it wasn't meant to be and something better will come along." which didn't really help at the time, but now that I found the perfect job I realized that she could not have been more right.

Just keep at it, keep plugging away, keep going on interviews, and something good will come. It just takes a lot longer right now in this job market.

Also, befriend Rkoloms because she is really helpful, knowledgeable and supportive in these matters!!! That's what I did :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I usually find something when I am not even looking. I might be out running around and stumble upon someone that is hiring. That's how I have found the best jobs. Where ever you go during the day, just ask if they are hiring. Make sure to ask if they know someone is how and have them contact you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010