Who here does juicing?

What fruity/veggie mixes do you make? How much do you make and how do you store them? What kind of juicer do you have and do you like it? What health benefits have you noticed so far? How often do you juice?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• ahh i want to so bad! i need to get a juicer.... are there any cheap ones out there??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I was able to get one at a garage sale in my neighborhood. So cheap! only $10 because they were moving to another town. I disinfected and cleaned the item really well before use. It's a Breville professional juice extractor and it cost around $200 in bloomingdales. I've used it for two years now and I'm very happy. I make fresh organic carrot juice, cucumber juice, spinach juice (it's not as bad as it sounds), zucchini juice, brocolli juice (hate that one). There are cheap ones out there but the cheap ones I heard could heat up the juice thus some vitamins and minerals are lost. It also have a smaller feeder (where you put the veggies in) so you basically would have to cut up/chop before putting those in. I noticed that my kids rarely have colds whenever they drink fresh juices.
    LavenderRose10

Comment by LavenderRose10 (original poster) at 5:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• yes my dh requires fresh juice a lot because he has UC. we have a vitamix which is basically like a souped up blender and it was around $500 but it's totally worth it. cuts juicing time in half!

i like to make organic carrot juice and toss in apple juice for the wet ingredient and some ginger and cinnamon. my dh loves that
    i just make about 3 or 4 carrots worth and store it in little jars in the fridge but he has to drink em pretty fast

i also make green bell pepper juice which is quite yummy!
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 6:38 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have one, but I don't use it; I want my family to have the pulp, too.

We have lots of smoothies; I throw in kale, and sometimes beets.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have a professional model Vitamix, which was totally worth its price tag for its versatility & quality. I got mine about 16 years ago and it's still going strong.

For juices, I make all kinds, from homemade plain apple juice to fancy combos that I get from juicing & smoothie books. I'd say our favorite is probably good old reliable strawberry-banana juice made w/just strawberries, bananas, ice & water. Another fav is pineapple-orange zingers, which is just fresh pineapple blended with a couple of oranges, water if it needs thinning down and some ginger for a bit of kick.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have to get a part of my juicer, I'm so sad I can't use it cause I LOVE to juice. I would say it's better to spend the money and get a good juicer than to get a cheap one where you aren't getting the pulp or able to juice things like seeds or skin.

I love Banana & Raspberry Juice. But I have a big book of Juice recipes which I use as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010