SAHM to working woman?

When I got pregnant with my first child we weren't sure if we could afford me to SAH but by my 3rd tri I figured out that if I gave up some of my spending habits I could & that was what my DH & I thought would be best. Then when she turned 10mo old I decided I wanted another baby & a 1mo later found out I was preggo! I was so excited & knew I made the best decision to be a SAHM. I have always known that when my girls started school I wanted to go back to work because there is no need for me to be home if my girls aren't here. So last night the hubby & I got into a discussion about it, even though it's still 3 years before both of our girls are in school. DH told me that he has adjusted to this lifestyle and doesn't want me to get a job that takes me away from him & the girls. He said he understands why I want to work but that maybe I could find something that I could make my own hours.I have to ask anyother SAHM faced this?

l0v3myg1rl5

Asked by l0v3myg1rl5 at 7:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• When the time comes...why not just get something part time. (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:20 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You can start a home based business, such as consulting in the industry you worked in, so you can set your own hours.

You can keep an eye open for positions at the neighborhood school, such as a school secretary, so your hours will match your children's

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I had an established career when I married, and after having my first child, for the next 8 years was a SAHM. As they got older I started looking into flexible work alternatives. MOST of the jobs out there would have required late afternoon/evening, weekend and holiday shifts--something I was NOT willing to do! So I looked for jobs within my local school districts. I became a Substitute Teacher (all you needed was a 4 year degree in any field, and to submit to a background check). I earned $100+/day and it was as flexible as I wanted it to be--working only 2 days/week (when my DH worked from home and could watch the kids) and only in the districts I wanted! I also took online courses to obtain my state teaching certificate in special ed, and last fall went back to work FT as a Special Ed. teacher! A completely different career than pre-kids--but PERFECT in terms of hours and days/weekends/summers off, that match my kids'!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If you don't have a 4 year degree you could apply for an Associate Teacher or Classroom Aide position--they are also FT with full benefits, sick/vacation days, etc., In my school district they only require an Associates Degree for those positions or HS Diploma plus a special certification to make you "Highly Qualified."

I say it's DEFINITELY worth looking into. And there may even be some administration/clerical jobs available too. Check out the job postings on your local school districts' websites! Good Luck! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I've been a SAHM for 13 yrs and recently had a temp job, 35 hrs a week. Never again.

I decided I wouldn't mind working maybe 20 hrs a week, but no more than that. I've got too much else going on! If you want to work to get out of the house, I suggest becoming an active volunteer at your children's school! I've met PTA presidents who are busier than working moms! Personally, I look forward to volunteering in the school libraries and sometimes in their classrooms. I get to talk to adults and I know I'm helping lots of children.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• There are many part time jobs you could do or since your DH has adjusted to things why not volunteer at your kids school? The first years of school are the most important....otherwise you could apply to teach on a temp based.
    Rosivick

Answer by Rosivick at 11:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• yes they want us to be there when the children come home. and not stick them with a lousy babysitter that we have to pay. it is really up to you what you want to do.

i am planning on coming back home and have another baby. i work full time and run a direct sales business on the side. i love the SPA business i do and i plan on doing that when i get pregnant. I have friends who are also doing this business and bring home 3500 a month and working 20 hrs a month. if your husband feels that strong about it then maybe direct sales is something you can do. My company is called beauticontrol and their products are fabulous. contact me for more info.
    BreeMarie

Answer by BreeMarie at 1:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2010