What can someone with an English/Literature major do as a career besides teach?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 7:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• be one heck of a proof reader :0)
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• write, newspaper or magazine editor

Answer by Bmat at 8:06 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I've found that it's not so much the major field of study that is important, but the fact that you have a four year degree!!! My dual undergrad degrees are in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology--with that I was a Health Club Manager, Personal Trainer, Aquatic Director (strong swimming background), and prior to becoming a SAHM, a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Trainer! That same degree also allowed me to be a Substitute Teacher, and was the basis for my being able to to pursue my state teaching credentials as a Special Education teacher (which I became last fall)--and I earned those degrees 20+ years ago!!! I also earned a Master's Degree 15+ years ago, but it wasn't as "valuable" as my BS Degree! Go figure! :o)

Bottom line, with that degree in hand, you can pursue just about ANY field you are interested in--which is great, given the current economy and double digit unemployment! You may find a new passion all together!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• open a book store
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Very little, with only an undergraduate degree. Yes, teaching ... private tutoring ... sometimes writing, although Journalism is a separate and specialized degree ... sometimes jobs in communications or publishing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You don't need a degree in journalism to be a journalist. I was a communication major who worked in journalism. I also have a degree in French and now I'm an author. Who doesn't write French.

It's the BA that's important, not what type. I'd say start exploring your career interests and go for it. The worst a potential employer can say is "no."
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• work for a book publisher?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2010