Who else has a 11-month-old who still wakes up a few times during the night?

Hello,
Just wanting some reassurance here. Our baby takes 2 naps and goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:15 each night. She's breastfed and on solids but isn (she refused a bottle early on and is currently mastering drinking from a sippy cup with water but hasn't had whole milk yet). I admit I haven't tried any crying-it-out methods (yet)...I always thought by now she'd sleep in longer stretches. She wakes up on average 3 times throughout the night. I tried waiting, but she escalates. I tried offering her just water but she gets really angry. She simply wants to comfort nurse---and she truly does chug each time...I know everyone says she can't possibly be hungry and that she's waking out of habit. I'm just wondering if I should keep waiting and see if she'll grow out of it, or if I should take more active measures? I'm tired during the day but she's my only one so I do have the luxury of resting while she naps. Thanks for reading

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My last child didn't sleep through the night until she was almost five years old.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My 14 month old DD was still waking up three times to nurse at 11 months, just recently she started sleeping for 6 hour stretches in between nursing... so I think it's perfectly normal. Sleeping through the night doesn't mean sleeping 10-12 hours, it means sleeping in 5 hour stretches, her belly is still small, so she is probably waking up hungry. Even in CIO methods, they tell you that the baby before 12 months and sometimes after may wake to feed.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son was like this. He's almost two and still wakes up once in a while. A lot of people tried telling me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it, but in the end, he just did it when he was ready. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

One thing that did help get my son on the right track was falling asleep in his crib at bed time without nursing or cuddling. I put him into bed and sat on the floor next to him until he fell asleep at first. It took time and patience, but he's doing great now. You just have to find something that works for you and ignore the judgments of others.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My 12 mo old still nurses several times during he night. My best advice is to keep baby in bed with you so that your sleep is not too disrupted. You don't ever need to do CIO. Some good info on nightweaning at Changing The Sleep Pattern

also Setting Limits on Nighttime Nursing

She will grow out of it, and you are not doing anything wrong by meeting her needs 24 hours a day!!!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't think this is unusual. My 11 month old is bottle fed, and he's slept really well in the past, but for the last few months he's been waking up once or twice a night - just need a little snuggling/reassurance (no food). Is she showing any separation anxiety during the day? Does she like to pull-up on her crib? I think a lot of babies at this age wake up and need mommy (even if they used to be okay on their own) just because of all the changes they are going through. Since she's used to having you around at night and her body is used to midnight snacks, I'd guess that she'd be resistant to new sleep training at this point. It's tiring, but it's also very sweet how much they love mom at this age - I know. Get some good naps during the day, and maybe try shortening and then dropping one feeding at a time when you think she is ready (and when you are ready).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Completely normal in my book! The ones who sleep are unusual in my experience.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2010