Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First rental

Hey everybody. Quick question about tenant and landlord laws. The railing in the apartment that my hubby and I just got is very thin, as is the newel post at the bottom. The railing is very securely fastened to the wall, but the wall goes less than halfway down the stairs. I haven't spoken to the landlord about it; I was just wondering if I might have a good case for getting the handrail and newel post replaced? If it helps, I have to carry my son up and down the stairs at least four times a day.

Wasn't sure how to categorize this...

Answer Question

Asked by MamaRae85 at 9:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 17 (3,802 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I don't really know, but if you are concerned about it's safety, I'd put the request in writing and certify mail it. Go ahead and describe it as you described it to us. So you would have documentation of asking in case it isn't corrected quickly AND God forbid you have an accident.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • Call the town's building inspector's office and ask what the code is for interior railings. Ask enough questions so that you get to the actual code and look it over. Stopping part way may not be a violation. Home inspectors in the area should know what code is also.

    Answer by elizabr at 10:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • notify him in writing that you feel it's unsafe and request to have it enforced or replaced. If he doesn't comply, call the building inspector.

    An old friend of mine had a similar problem and i guess she was leaning on it and she fell all the way down the stairs.... she sued the landlord.

    Answer by mama2three717 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.