Do you ever make cakes in a microwave?

I don't use my microwave for anything but defrosting and reheating. Iprefer to use an oven to cook and bake food that we eat. I see these cakes that are microwavable. If you've tried them, how do they taste?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I've tried the microwavable cake mixes (Warm Delights by Betty Crocker) They are pretty good, a nice quick fix for a sweet tooth. I loved the Raspberry chocolate one but can't find it at my store anymore. The minis are a nice portion size too. Sure they aren't as good as a real cake, but that's OK when I only want enough for me :D
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I sometimes get the 150 calorie mini warm delights... the texture is slightly off for me, but they are yummy, and work for when the kids are asking for something and it's too hot to cook.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I haven't tried the mixes, but I have made cakes from scratch in the microwave. There's quite a few recipes out there. I've made applesauce cakes, yellow cakes, chocolate cakes, pineapple cakes...they've all turned out yummy, just a bit gummy on top that is a PITA when frosting them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I call this PMS cake. It is good for about five minutes, then the texture gets rubbery and gross:

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
    Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
    Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
    Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
    The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
    Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
    EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• NO, I never have, but I have seen and tasted some of them and they are quite good.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My mom used to cook EVERYTHING in the microwave! I know they make microwave cake mixes now but back in the day she had a microwave "cake pan" she would use. Yes it made a cake but it didn't taste very good IMO :p

So no, I use the microwave for those steam fresh bags of veggies and that's about it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010