Isabel is now 5 days old and although feeding well...she has been choking a lot while breatfeeding. I even tried a bottle last night and she choked. I have made sure she is not upset before feeding, however she does get sleepy which is when some of the choking has occured. Just wondering if any other moms have had this happen. It was so scary I even call my pediatrician late Friday night because I was becoming afraid to feed her!

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes milk just comes out extremely fast, you can pump a bit first to slow down the flow and see if that helps.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Overactive Let Down... happened to my best friend's baby... don't be afraid to feed the baby and DON'T supplement with bottles.. Your milk supply needs to work itself out, adding a bottle will throw it off... Good Luck and congrats!

MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Emma is one month old and still chokes or swallows too fast and starts couphing non stop for a few minutes making me stop feeding her and pat her on the back. just take feeding slowly.make sure to try and feed her b4 she gets sooo hungry that she gulps. eventually this will stop tho. new borns are not the best eater in the world. things are sitll new to them
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• best thing to do when you feel uncomfortable with something is to just call pediatrician this is the time they are most needed.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• HELLO I WAS THINKING MAYBE HOLDING HER IN A DIFFERENT POSITION OR FEEDING HER MORE SLOWLY UNTIL SHE GETS THE HANG OF IT:) THEY ALL LEARN AT THEIR OWN PACE!! I WISH I COULD HELP MORE, CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW BABY GIRL:)
    desirae1016

Answer by desirae1016 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When she stops sucking so much and is starting to fall asleep, take her off the breast. She will either sleep or wake to eat more. She may be just not swallowing the last bit in her mouth and as she relaxes, it runs down her throat and "gags" her. Hope that helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with what all these mom said. my second child had reflux and we had to sit him upright to feed him his bottles. the upright position helped alot.
    happymomof20509

Answer by happymomof20509 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• That link above is perfect. She'll get the hang of it. My 21 month old DD still chokes on my let down a few times a week. It's not the end of the world. It's not like she's choking on a marble or something. And breast milk(a live food with anti-microbial properties) is safer to aspirate than artificial baby milk, even though we'd all like them to not choke at all!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

It sounds like you have an overactive letdown. Kellymom.com has some great information on it as well as the breastfeeding group on here. My best advice(I deal with it too) is when you letdown break the latch and let your milk run out onto a burp cloth until it slows down then re latch. Also block feeding is great. Oh and don't give a bottle it won't help at all :) Good luck and don't be afraid to feed your baby...By nursing you are doing the best thing for your baby! It sounds like you are doing great so far!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's most likely just that your milk flows out too fast for her once it lets down, it will regulate in a few weeks
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010