To let DS go, or not go?(grandparent question)

My DS is 15 months old. He is really close to his papaw(SO's dad). We get along very good with him, although him and his ex-wife(SO's mom) have been divorced for over 10 years they still spend a lot of time together. Any way we have totally broke ties with SO's mom. She called me a B***** and threatened to call CPS on me, for no reason other than her being mad at SO(I wouldn't care if they came, but you just don't say that). Anyway, SO's dad called last night and wanted to know if he could spend some time with DS today and take him to the park and to walmart. I would be totally fine with it, but I have a feeling he is going to let SO's mom see him too. Would you let him go knowing there was a chance of him seeing SO's mom? Or just tell him No?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• If So's mom threatened CPS and you really think the odds are she is going to see your child if his grandpa takes him then I would say no. There is a difference between "not liking" your MIL and having her call you names and threaten to call CPS on you. No one should have to go through a CPS investigation unless it is founded.
    TerrahR

Answer by TerrahR at 11:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would let him go. Children need to spend time with the grandparents. You never know how long they will be around.

My kids have lost all but one set of grandparents and they are in Florida so they hardly ever get to see them.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would. IMHO I think it's petty to not let papaw see/spend time with him just because you don't like SO's mom.

Although if you really are against it, invite papaw to your house, that way you can be sure SO's mom won't be there
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If you have a good relationship with him talk to him about it, tell him you don't mind him taking your son, but you don't want him around her, and as long as he understands this and will listen you will let him take him sometimes.
    -BrokenBeauty-

Answer by -BrokenBeauty- at 11:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• How deos SO's mom treat your son? If it is with kindness then let him go. Talk all this over with papaw sometime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would let him go, you have to put your differences aside for the sake of your ds.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:34 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Let him see his grandparents. She may have a problem with you but there is no problem with your child. Stop being petty and using your child to get revenge. And you're going to say you aren't but if you weren't you wouldn't be worrying about if she gets to see your son when he visits other people. Who cares if she sees him? He'll get to see his grandmother, why is that bad?
    JustPretending

Answer by JustPretending at 11:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am going to close this question now, seeing that people are going to be mean. I am in no way being petty or using my son for revenge. You would have to know her to understand, but she is a very vindictive person, very mean hearted.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'm sure you have your own feeling on this that you feel is right! I never had the love./Bond of Family! Never knew my parents had grandparents or anyone! I don't know what I missed. By never experiencing this! But my DH loved & Adored his grandparents! Especially his Grand father! Life is Short. What makes your son happy would make me Happy. If I were you! But that's just from the outside looking in.. Good luck there. I Love/Adore my Grand babies tremendously. With my poor health even on my darkest Days. They Cheer me!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010