Help with job hunting

I've just relocated and in need of a job. I've been a SAHM for way too many years, with a little bit of part time work but I'm still not sure where to start. I don't really have anything that I can put on a resume, I don't have any schooling to speak of so that's not going to help.
I really, really don't want to work fast food. I'm thinking a temp agency might be a good place to start, has anyone ever worked for one? I had a friend that did that a few years ago, but she said unless I had been trained on a bunch of different office systems &/or machines...they wouldn't hire me.
I have done some retail, nothing on commision though..and not interested in that sort of work.
If I could, I'd love to go to school, but for now I need work to save up some cash.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...and if you're in Jacksonville, FL and in need of a new employee...lol contact me! ;p

ColleenW62

Asked by ColleenW62 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Have you thought about day care? I did that when my son was young and I was able to take him with me.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• to be honest day care isn't really something I'd be interested in. i don't have to worry about baby sitters or anything and we have enough kids where I'm living and would really like something where I could have some access to adult chat. lol I have filled out the online app for Books A Million...but have to wait to see if they have anything. It said I'll be contacted...but I'm going to check back anyway.
    ColleenW62

Comment by ColleenW62 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Your resume should include what you did as a SAHM. Did you take care of all the bills and bank accouts? Did you do any big landscaping projects or coordiante vendors for an addititon? Did you do any volunteer work? Organize any mothers' groups? Dig deep into your activities and maximize what experience they gave you. Also, sometimes doing volunteer work can develop into a job. Where would you like to work the most? Ask if they accept volunteers so you can learn....or sometimes they accept unpaid interns. Get creative and see what happens. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• How about a bank teller. You don't need experience for that...they usually just train you on the job. I also work from home...

www.scentsy.com/my2scents

As for the school...US Career Institute offers some great courses all from home at a low price.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Temp agencies are good. Financial aid will help if you go back to school and check out local unemployment agencies and community colleges they often have job boards. Or you can do what I did and have a party every time you go to work selling Dove chocolate Discoveries!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills and experiences that employers value: time management, logistics, budgeting, etc. Chances are, you have done some volunteer work, too.

You may need to hold your nose, and take a job that doesn't interest you; you need to rebuild your professional network, and get some current job experience.

You should contact a community college, and take Microsoft Office classes, especially Word, Excel and Powerpoint; also take at least one bookkeeping class. This combination will make you incredibly marketable.

There are more great tips and resources in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If any of you ladies that have answered come back...I talked to someone at an online college this afternoon and they're going to help me get the grants/loans I need to get started going to classes next month. I'll still need to get a job local...but I'm feeling more hopeful then I was before.

It's going to be a medical office thing, it will take about 18 months, but at least it will be something that will have a future. I mean think about how many jobs are seasonal at best....no matter how far in the future you get...people will always need medical care, they'll always be getting sick. Plus I know once you have your foot in the door with some places...especially hospitals, you always cross train to do lots of stuff.

bother...i had more...ran out of room. lol maybe i'll do a journal post...sorry for no caps...i'm pooped. ;p
    ColleenW62

Comment by ColleenW62 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010