Help me with my 13yr old..puberty.

Puberty began about six months ago. First he has really bad dandruff yet really oily hair. He can never not wash his hair because it looks so gross. He has really fine blonde hair. I have tried all the dandruff shampoo and its not working. Any suggestons? Second, He has boobs. For the past 6 months he has been living in a hoodie,no matter how hot it is. I bought some tanks to wear under his clothes and he finally shed the jacket wearing the tank, a t-shirt and a button up shirt over it. I know he is self-conscious but I have explained to him that it is normal and will go away. The problem is he will not go swimming even with a shirt on. All of his friends spend most of their time in the pool. He has pretty much avoided everyone this summer. He won't even swim in our pool with no one around. I am worrying for nothing? He is your average twig of a boy so weight is not a contributing factor. How can I help him?

yldflwr

Asked by yldflwr at 11:35 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Awww....I would take him for a check-up...is he overweight or just has "boobs"? it's he's not overweight, then def have him checked-it could be a hormonal issue....and for the hair??? hmmmmmm....does he eat alot of greasy foods??? I don't know what to tell you about that-ask the doc too for suggestions. I am not sure it's normal to have that much of a greasy head....sorry I know this didn't help but good luck!! :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Has he had a checkup for the dandruff? Are there exercises that can firm up his chest? I am so sorry. This is such a tender time. Wish I had a magic pill. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Uhm... I've never heard of boys getting boobs during puberty. I would be taking him to a doctor asap(I also don't have any boys, so maybe it is normal? I dunno).
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:41 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• First of all check out http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/, they have some wonderful products. Oh and FYI dandruff IS oily scalp. Most people think that it's caused from dry scalp, but it's not. Secondly your son has whats called gynecomastia, and it's very common in obys going through puberrty, it does go away. My son is also a twig but he has had that as well. I know a lot of young boys with this. It's common and not cause for concern. Having your sons doctor talking to him about this will help a great deal
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Just reasure him that he looks fine. spend some extra time with him if you can, maybe let him know that he can talk to you when he wants to, & thats it.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• awww, poor guy. Being that age is hard enough without having to deal with all those uncomfortable things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would take him to his Dr, let them talk to him, alone, and then just be there for him. It's a tough time for some boys, we have a 13 almost 14 yr old and he's having a tough time with acne... I bought him some medicated face pads and they have helped a lot. I told him to shower daily, and only use his fingertips to scrub his scalp, not his nails, they will damage his scalp. His hair is still a little oily but it has improved. You could tell him his hair and scalp would improve with a daily swim, the chlorine does wonders for some peoples skin...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I dont thing boy boobs are normal. I would take him in and have a good through check up. I have a 13 yr old boy and not one of his friends, accept the very heavy one on his baseball team, has boy boobs. Not one. I know that it DOES happen... but I would definately get it checked out. If he does have a real medical issue perhaps some hormone treatment would be in order.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I also do not think that a skinny boy with noticible breasts is normal; please have him checked by a doctor; at best, the doctor will reassure him.

For the hair, get him a shampoo with tea tree oil. Trader Joes has a fantastic one, with peppermint, that is great for adolescent scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• He needs to be seen by a doctor, "boobs" in a skinny boy is not normal. My son has "man boobs" but he has gained a lot of weight in the last year. I cannot wait until his height and weight catch up again. I cannot afford to keep buying him clothes. My son also has dandruff and I have found that Selsum Blue works great.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2010