Lap Band / Gastric Bypass

Have any of you had either of these procedures? If so, how was the recovery? How much weight did you lose? And do you regret having it or do you still think it was a good idea?

I know a lot of people who have those procedures done say that the recovery was awful or that the surgery itself caused them long-term health issues. Just curious as to what your experiences have been ... well, those of you who have had it done.

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Health

• i thought about it but in the end I have lost a whole lot of weight by myself. I talked to some people who said it was hard to stay to the diet but they did and the surgery was hard as well as the recovery. My friends mom said make sure you can do it for long a long time make sure you are committed. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would suggest lap band if you do do it...I had bypass and the recovery was pretty dramatic...they slice you open and it hurts like hell for the first 2 weeks. I had to sleep upright in a chair. It took about 6 weeks total but I felt pretty good after 4-the key is walking...walk walk walk-no matter how much it hurts..
    Now-I lost 140 total....BUT then I found out my hubby was cheating and left me for her. We went through a bitter custody battle and well.....result: I have GAINED back 75lbs. My stomach is pretty much back to normal size and I am right back in the same boat I was before surgery.
    It's NOT a quick fix...it's NOT the "easy way out"...you STILL have to change your entire lifestyle in order to be successful. I was really happy after for a couple of years...I felt great and enjoyed the new attention BUT I do know alot of people like me who did end up gaining back....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• DON'T DO IT. I have not had it done...BUT I know of someone close to me that had it and is regretting it. The surgery went well, and then the recovery turned horrible. They lost 250+ pounds and now are skin and bones and is not living a normal life and I don't think they ever will. PLEASE don't do it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• cont....long term I am in great health other than the weight gain.....BP great....cholesterol great....no health issues. I do have a Vit B and iron deficiency b/c my body doesn't absorb it well now so I take supplements everyday....also I get drunk with one drink--quick absorption of alcohol: I guess I am a cheap date now...lol
    One other thing-my ex-hubby was supportive at first but after he told me he wouldn't want me to do it again--he didn't like the attention I was getting I guess....some guys who marry overweight women get really weird when they lose it.....dunno
    It's something to think long and hard about....make sure you do your research and make sure your loved ones are supportive.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You can email me if you have any other questions......
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have a friend on here that just had lap band not too long ago. I'll send her a message and see if she can answer your questions.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I had the lapband surgery a month ago. The recovery was about a week, a little worse than I thought but def worth it. Insurance covered all of mine. So far I have lost 30+ lbs, that includes the pre op liquid diet.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Does insurance cover the lap band?

Anonymous