Have you ever been unable to urinate?

Due to Chemo & unbearable pain. I sometimes am unable to urinate sitting down. I have to . Sorry TMI. Try to do it in toilet paper standing up! Its annoying. The 'script to help me is too costly. I can't be the only one unable or experiencing this can I? Any tips would be so appreciated. I feel like I'm just falling apart. Having Chemo since April. Having it every Monday now through August! Miserable!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Health

• I really don't have any advice or tips for you, but I wanted to let you know you'll be in my prayers! I know chemo is a hard thing to deal with. Hang in there and I truly hope things get easier for you!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am sorry you are going through this....it's rough but you can do it! Be strong!!
    as far as the med...do you have insurance? Can you get assistance?? Ask your doc for free samples or a cheaper alternative...call the med company and tell them your situation-many drug companies are now offering assistance-even free meds. There are community resources that may help as well....google stuff in your area....a little research may help you get the assistance you need...good luck!!!!!!!! Stay strong!!!!!
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I haven't been through it nor do I have any advice, but here's a bump. I hope you get an answer.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• One of the things we used to do when a new mom couldn't pee after delivery was use peppermint oil in that "pan" that we put there to measure the urine. Smelling the peppermint and having the 'fumes" hit your bottom, seems to relax you somehow.
    AND bring a straw/ cup of water in the bathroom and blow bubbles in the water. Somehow that does help you relax and you just start to pee without thinking about it.
    I have used these tips a couple of times when I didn't just have a baby. Like "bashful bladder" at the doc when they want a specimen, I just pretend to have a straw and blow and have the water running in the sink because I don't want anyone to hear and I can usually start peeing.
    One last thing, if you are very uncomfortable is to try to pee standing in the shower. Then you don't feel so messy afterwards. GL and my prayers are with you always. ~~Karen
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• *sigh* How may points do we have to have before we can asnwer anon? This isn't exactly something I like sharing, but if I can help you I will share my little problem. When I was pregnant with my youngest (around 16wks) I had a couple of weeks where the way my uterus was positioned prevented me from being able to pee normally. I was told my two options were to lay in the bathtub on my stomach or while sitting on the toilet, push in and up on my lower abdoment to "lift" my uterus off of my bladder. I tried second one first and it worked for me, but if my choices were peeing while laying on my stomach in the tub or getting cath'd multiple times a day, I would defintely give the bathtub trick a try
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• kara--thanks for sharing. You may have just helped someone...no need to be embarrassed! :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Try standing up with an oval shaped container... If you can find the right size, it'll be skinny enough to fit between your legs and long enough to catch everything. Ask your doctor as well, they have special containers that will work for this purpose. It might be costly, or they may just have something "disposable" to give you but you can wash and reuse at home. If you can't sit, might as well do what you can and alleviate as much pain as you can.

Good luck and blessing to you.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I've had trouble urinating after a surgery (laparoscopy). My bladder was very full and I really needed to go, but I couldn't. The hospital wanted to release me, but I was afraid I'd just have to come back so I stayed a couple of hours longer. They sent me home when I could trickle a little bit. Even after going home I was in and out of the bathroom every thirty minutes, but not much was coming out. It was the day after surgery before I was getting back to normal.

It sounds like you've talked to your doctor about this, since you mentioned the prescription. I have gotten free medications by contacting the drug manufacturer and applying for the Patient Assistance Program. You should also Google "community health center" + "(your town/county)". CHCs are federally funded and exist to help people in need who have no insurance or too little, and they may be able to help you get the medication. GL, sweetie! I'm praying!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I had that prob after surgery. It was the most painful frustrating feeling... UGH!!!!! They kept having to cath me which made my bladder even more swollen.. But those pee pills really helped me out. I am sorry you are going thru this. I really had to sit and concentrated HARD to try and go. It's like you have to push from the inside out to pee.. Such a weird thing.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 6:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010