Tell me if you think I am crazy or over reacting!

We have been renting from our "friends-landlords" (first mistake I know) for over 2 years now. I have ALWAYS paid rent on time. When we first moved in the floor needed to be fixed and a small whole in the tube, the sinks need replaced and the medicine cabinet in the bathroom need replaced. We were told sense my husband is a handy man he could take the price for the stuff out of the rent and just fix it. Well my husband fixed the the vanity and the medicne cabinet. Didn't charge them anything just did it. Then we replaced two fans and two lights. The lights were wired wrong they actually caught fire at some point. Well Itold her about this and she said just take the price for the lights out of the rent..So i did. The only things I wont let my husband fix are the floor and the whole in the tub.. I would rather them do it because its a lot of money.. CONTINUED

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• They need to be responsible for these things! Friends or not, they are landlords and can and should be held liable for these things. I would just tell them you don't mind having taken care of the smaller things, but the hole and the floor need to be done asap.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i agree; its their house so they should fix it. And always get something like that down in writing, so you have somethign to back you up in case of any problems. We had a friend be our room mate for about six months, and we drew up a contract before he even moved in stating what he had to pay and things like that. With friends its always better to cover both of your butts with a contract so it doesnt mess up the friendship
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well they agreed to fix those things when we moved in , in july of 08.. well it didn't get done. Then in oct of 09 we started seeing roaches in the house! So I told her about it and she kinda blew off like it was no big deal. Then they were getting worse so I told her again and she told me that heath and I could take care of it and take it of the rent. (no really my responsiability but I said sure) so thats what we did.. gave the guy 225 dollars to come out and the things he did didn't help they only got worse so I told her we were going with someone else and she said ok just take it out of rent.. Then she told me that "my husband" needed to get with The Pest Guy and do a month to month..Well a month to month was not going to get rid of german roaches! So she told me to handled it so I called terminx and was having thme come out and she told me I needed to pay the other part of rent! I told her why I didn't .CONTINUED.SORRY
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Are u serious they should be fixing this stuff not your husband what kind of friend/landlords are these? *huff* Please tell them they need to fix they other things your husband hasnt done asap
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 11:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Do you have a written lease? If you have a lease then they are responsible to make repairs to the house not you or your husband.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I know how tricky it can be with landlord being your friends- I would have them do everything the "right way" and document it, you never know if things don't end well you don't want them to come back to you.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• and she said " id idn't know there was still a problem please pay the rent" She didn't say I'm sorry will take care of it or anything! Plus there is a whole under the fridge that needs to be fixed or the fridge is going to fall through.. The whole in the tub where water is going behind the tub is going to make the tub fall through.. We live on the top floor to... So my question is do I pay the other part of rent or wait for the terminx guy to come out and pay him. Or at this point.. Should I get ugly and not pay the rent at all next month and use that money to MOVE OUT! Keep in mind we did not sign a lease when we moved in.. And I'm tired of living this way and I also have two boys and one on the way!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• MOVE! Cancel the Terminex appt., pay your rent like you are supposed to (you don't want her reporting you or suing you for the money) and then save what you can to move out. Your friends have already shown you their true colors, they're slumlords, and you don't want to be raising your little ones in that kind of environment.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I know they are your friends but it sounds to me you have slum lord. You been too kind for to long those german pest are almost imposiable to get rid of. The only way I got rid of them when I had them was move out of the place I was living and put EVERYTHING into storage and let the winter freeze them off. Just take your clothes and be careful taking anything with you. Things like your furnture and tv, computers, blender ect. roaches like to hide there and if you move it in your new place before getting rid of them, your new place will have roaches and your new landlord will be very mad. In the end it going cost you more than your friend but at least you will be rid of those pesty roaches and a piece of mind is worth alot.
    nurdreams

Answer by nurdreams at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i say move
    way too much that you have put up with
    keep receipts and record everything

i know moving is a big pain
    but this sounds like it out wieghs that pain by far!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2010