Who you let your 17 year old get a tattoo?

I have full custody of my 17 year old neice. Her mother passed away almost 10 years ago, Dec. 17 2010 will be 10 years. She misses her mother more then anything and i can see it in her. She had an idea that she wanted to get a tatoo of little angel wings and it saying mom between them on Dec 17 ,2010 since it will be one decade. Shes not sure where she wants it , im not sure if i want to allow her to get that. What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I got my first tattoo when I was 17... she can get one without permission when she turns 18 anyways...at least thats what the law is where I live..in PA
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i would make her wait until she was 18.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would say yes!! Here in MN even with a parent or gurdian's permission they still have to be 18!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'd let her. That's not something she's likely to regret, not like getting the band of the moment tattooed on her butt or something. :-)
    She's not far from the legal age to get it on her own anyway. Maybe it'll help her getting a memorial tattoo on the anniversary of her mom's death.
    I say go for it.
    I will add though, that when I say I'd let her, my girl is only 5, so it's a long ways off. So, it's more hypothetical than real for me.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would allow it. She is getting something that really means a lot to her. If you don't, she'll most likely get it when she turns 18.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would just have her wait til she's 18, then it's completely and totally HER decision, for better or worse.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would! I would be there right with her when she gets it.
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 12:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• As long as it is somewhere where it can be covered, I think it is OK. I know people are more lax this day-and-age with tats showing, but I still believe that some professions are role-models, and tats shouldn't be showing. And I have two myself, so I am not being a prude or anything. I am just speaking from my work experience.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think it would be better for you to go with her & take her to a reputable place than for her to find saome hole in the wall who will do it for her underage.

I had my first tattoo done @ 17- nothing meaningful & I now regret it. However, I doubt your niece will regret a tattoo done in honor of her mother. I think it would fine to take her. Help her choose placement- bc that maybe the part shell regret. I think the best tattoo placements are ones that are bikini worthy- but not wedding dress worthy. Thats just me! ;) I would have been sad to have a HUGE tattoo in my wedding pictures..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would let her. If she is artistic, have her draw it up herself, it will mean more to her that way. She needs to know where she wants it, so she needs to think about that long and hard. I have 6 tattoos myself, so I could hardly tell my kids they can't get them. I don't have any that I regret. I have 2 that I worked on, so that's why I say she should draw it up herself. I think her reasoning behind getting it is great, and you saying no is selfish. She's going to be 17, if it's legal in your state, why hold her back? A year isn't important. It doesn't matter if she waits a year, or 2, or 6 months. She just needs to be sure of what she wants, and where she wants it. Putting a time limit on that is lame. She isn't going into a shop and pointing to a picture on the wall and asking for that. She already has an idea.
    Cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010