Proof Atkins doesn't work!

Dh is following a high protein / Atkins like program. I'm trying to get healthier and I'm including a ton of veggies and fruit in my diet, including beans. I'm also keeping the fat as low as possible. We are Both loosing weight.

Dh has some sticks that measure ketones. On a whim I grabbed one. Sure enough I have moderate ketones in my urine. No idea what it means but on dh's diet this is good.

I'm guessing it has to do with calories, but who knows.

My conclusion? Go ahead and eat that yummy fruit. I eat (gasp!) bananas and apples nearly everyday.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Atkins works only while you're on it. And it pretty sure it's not too healty. I've learned eating mostly fruits and vegtables, low fat meats and carbs with lots of fiber seems to work the best.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't know about the ketones, but I have always felt than "diets" don't work in the long run, because they are NOT sustainable for a lifetime. Sure, you might quickly drop some weight with a drastic diet or a very restrictive one, but what happens when you go off of it? My mother has done about every single fad diet that ever existed, and every time she finishes it, she puts her 20 pounds back on. That up-and-down, up-and-down weight cycle is very unhealthy.
    Yes, eat your fruits and veggies, along with whole grains and lean proteins and you can maintain a healthy body weight!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Not sure how you are coming to the conclusion that Atkins doesn't work especially if you are both losing weight. I don't think that the Atkin's diet is for everyone. It made me gain weight while it allowed my friend to lose about 70 lbs. I really like the Weight Watchers diet and was able to follow it pretty well. Everyone is different though so different diets work for different people.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Atkins doesn't work because it's unnatural and your body will reject it after an extended time unless you're diabetic (which is who it is designed to work for - it's insulin control, not for weight loss, the temporary weight loss is just a coincidence they parlayed into a million dollar diet scheme). You are measuring ketones to see if your body has entered ketosis - basically a symptom of starvation. Your body produces them via the liver so your brain doesn't starve to death.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Ketones in your urine mean that your body is burning fats instead of carbs. Since people on the old Atkins plan eat no carbs, their body has to burn proteins and fats, leaving the by-products (ketones). When ketones get too high (ketosis), they cause major problems and even death(ketoacidosis) because they change the pH level of your blood. The NEW Atkins diet, like the South Beach plan, includes healthy carbs in moderation, similar to the way you are eating.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• yeah, you don't want moderate keytones, you want low to no keytones. i have to test mine everyday due to gestational diabetes, and i have to basically be on an atkins type diet as well and it's not a diet i would willing do, i'd much rather eat the fruits and veggies, and no so much meat, but thats just me, i'm not a meat eater.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I lost 60 pounds on Atkins but it became to tedious so now I am changing my whole way of eating. So now I also workout four hours a day I only have Starbucks every two weeks and I am working on giving up soda. I walk as much as possible and eat fruit, vegetables, fish and lean meats.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010