Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Bumps

This kinda goes a long with my last questions.. If I didn't sign a lease, no oral agreement as to what month or time we would move. And the landlords-friends are not repairing saftey hazards inthe house can I just move and not pay rent for that month? I don't really wanna be ugly but I'm tired of living this way and tired of being taken advantage of!

Please bump I am so in need of advice!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Here is a Bump! If it were me I wouldnt put up with it for to much longer.

    Answer by starestrada at 12:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • You need to look up your state laws first! Here in Texas, you must send your landlord a detailed work order via certified mail.. and then if they don't make an attempt to make repairs within 7-10 days, then you can take matters into your own hands. If you don't have proof like that before you move, your landlord can more than likely get you for abandonment.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I have e-mails where she agreed to fix things and said she would do it while we were gone for two weeks back in dec of 09! and we moved everything out of the kitchen so they could fix the floor came home and it was not done! I also have emails where she told me to "take the money for the pest control out of the rent and handle it" and I have a text message where she stated I needed to pay the rent because she didn't know there was still a problem... Does that matter for anything you think?

    Answer by smarie1011 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • call your local town's builing inspection/code office and see if there are violations. Put requests in writing. And put your intent to move out in writing

    Answer by elizabr at 1:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • No matter how you do it,You should find a way to move out. I don't know the ins and outs of your lease or whatever. You should plan in that direction.

    Answer by momthruivf at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • If there is no lease, written or oral, then you can do what you want. Just like they can evict you or up your rent any time they want.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • If there is no lease then it automatically becomes a month to month lease and you are required to give 30 day notice before moving or they could go after you for the month's rent.
    Now-as far as repairs...if it's as bad as you say-give the 30 day notice-in writing-via certified mail (so you have a record) and you can "hold back" the month's rent in a separate account pending repair. State very clearly in your letter that you are holding the rent and will pay once the repairs are done. Then if they comply, pay the rent (make sure you get receipts btw). If they don't make the repair within your 30 day time frame then you are free to move without paying but make sure you send another follow-up certified letter stating such. Keep that money aside in case they do go after you in court....if you have all your ducks in a row you should be fine.
    You can also report your landlord-google it or check with your local library for help

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I agree with the last two PP. You have no written agreement, so you should be able to just give written notice (30 days) that you are moving out. Keep the e-mail where she said you could pay for the service out of your rent check, just in case she goes after you for unpaid rent.

    I had a landlord once who would not fix things. All she wanted to do was paint. A simple bump with the palm of the hand would open my door, locked or not. She wouldn't put screens on our windows or kill the wasps that had a nest outside the window, so they had to stay closed with no A/C. I passed out from heat exhaustion. She let one guy we knew in the building who we didn't want in, but wouldn't open the door for the children of our friends with dark skin - she left them on the porch in a bad neighborhood. I reported her to city authorities and we didn't have to pay rent for several months until she made the repairs.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I would send a certified letter, make copies, state what you want done and that you will be leaving by ___ if it is not done.

    Answer by KTMOM at 10:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.