Are you on WIC?

Do you ever feel like you get treated with hardly any respect when you use your coupons at your grocery store?

I mean I realize for some people it shows them that the person using WIC is irresponsible or lazy or can't get a job, whatever they think, but wouldn't you rather see families using WIC and Public Assistance as opposed to seeing them beg for food on the street with their children?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am on wic, we have the cards, looks the same as ebt, and yes they do treat u dif
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Im not on Wic Anymore years ago I was and I was not ashamed to get formula for my daughter and I dont look down on anyone who is on it! My sister in law has it and she works but is a single mom she needs that extra help
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My husband and I used it just the other day with tthe same people who normally work at our local grocery store. Usually they're pretty nice, but one woman, who always checks us out, in the self-check out line was just plain rude about it. My husband tried to use the self-check out line because he was allowed to use it before with the WIC checks and the woman running it was just rude!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I hate the feeling and i know that im about to get bashed bc do get food stamp and wic, like last time. People have no heart for another person, they are so sad that their tax dollars are going to some one inneed, what? i guess they want us to be on the street, they would rather see that than their tax go to who they think is just lazy and wont get a job
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i was on it for a while. i think it depends on which store you go to. some of them are use to it and some of them act like it's a huge friggin deal to ring up wic.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Sorry people can be jerks I never got negative treatment why would anyone? ugh!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree Dee. People care more about a couple dollars a month being taken out of their pay check to help a struggling family, rather than the struggling families themselves. People are selfish.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I've been on it twice. Once was about three years ago, when dh was laid off for the summer, and we had used most of our savings for the first three months, the last month, we got wic to make the ends meet.

the other time was when I was prego with dd. I had to take it to stay on medical assistance to get prenatal care. It was a godsend. I don't begrudge people assistance with food if they need it. It's the abusers that bother me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We use WIC coupons & we've never had anyone treat us bad about it. We are usually asked if we found everything OK & if we had any questions about how to get the most out of using them.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am not on WIC but have never and will never judge anybody if they need assistance. People go through tough times. If we were in a position that we needed help, I wouldn't think twice about getting assistance until we could get our feet back on the ground.

People can be so rude. It's sad.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010