Okay, I feel like I live in the wilderness or something.

I asked a question the other day about where to buy something, and another about meat and such.

Both questions got answers like "go to your local healthfood store" or "talk to your local butcher." And when I said we don't have that stuff people act like I'm crazy.

Am I the only one that doesn't have this stuff locally? It's over an hour drive to find a "healthfood" store or anything like that... The closest butcher is even further, unless you count the ones in grocery stores. The best we have here is Giant Eagle or WalMart. There just isn't stuff like that here...

Am I the only one left who lives in a small town or what?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Shopping

• nope. where i grew up it's still like that. you would be better off to go to the grocery store and ask one of the old farmers that is shopping there to butcher a cow for you, or ask if he has any veggies to sell.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I guess so
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We live in the sticks, too, and it is a drive to go anywhere. But I like it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Our local Giant Eagle has a large health foods section and sometimes they'll get specific items in for your if you ask for them. Our local Walmart has a mixed bag of regular & health foods, as well, but I don't know if they'll special order stuff b/c I've never asked, as I don't shop at Walmart unless it is the only place to get what I need.

We actually do have several health foods stores within a reasonable driving distance of us, but that's really been for the last couple of years, so before they opened, I would either do a once a month trip to the health food store a couple of hours away or order what I needed from an online source.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• No there are small towns everywhere....even just right outside of big cities I grew up in hallettsville texas we had a local butcher healfood store and a country bakery.
    TexasPride85

Answer by TexasPride85 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't think it has anything to do with "Small town"... most of the small towns I have lived in had their own butcher, green grocer, Rx, etc. that was not a chain. It depends on what part of the country you are in I guess. Have you considered ordering some of the things you want on line? It'll save on gas, and you can usually find things a lot cheaper if you shop around, than if you wander into a store- and there is infinite selection.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Where I grew up was like that. Closest we had to a health food store was the GNC in the mall, and when Super Wal-Mart opened, it was such a big event that most of my high school skipped school to go to the grand opening.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 2:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• we don't have a butcher. but we do have a health food store. it's small and don't have a lot but it's still one all the same.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• my town is spread out and I dont always want to have to drive everywhere, so I shop online...you could probably shop online for health food store stuff....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We live in a big city. I can't imagine living somewhere I would be dependent on a car.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010