why on earth do kids do this? Is it just me??

Is it just normal for children to be careless and break things durning play? Am I over reacting? Should I just be chalking it up to a kid thing and buy new things every week/ day?

Everything they play with or touch ends up broken, often the same day they got it. I tried teaching them, I tried taking everything away, I tried everything and nothing works.

I feel so sorry for them. Isn't it a right for a child to have things to play with? They are so bored because they broke everything. I felt sorry for them today. It's raining, they were bored and wanting to color. Children need to color. I gave them new markers and crayons as well as some coloring books. There wasn't anything I could do. They ruined them. Markers are swished flat, caps chewed. Crayons broken and destroyed. Coloring books ripped.

Is it just me???

The kids are 2, 5, 7 and 12

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I can see the two year old doing it....but the others should know better. Sounds like maybe they are just looking for some attention from you.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• After so many mishaps, you have to ask yourself if it's an accident or if they just don't care about their toys. Caps don't accidentally get chewed, it's done on purpose.
    If they can't take care of their stuff, they don't need to have it.
    I don't think having something to play with is a right. They have a right to a roof over their heads, food in their bellies, and clothes on their back. They have a right to live in a home free from abuse. They have the PRIVILEGE of having toys to play with. If they can't respect the toys, they can sit and stare at the wall or run around in the yard until they can.

My girl knows that if she breaks something, it's gone. We don't replace stuff unless it's broke in an accident, and only then on Christmas and her birthday. So, she's very careful with her stuff.
    Stop replacing it. Let them go without.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have been asking the same question myself mine are 8 and 9
    nurdreams

Answer by nurdreams at 2:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and he doesn't do that and so far my 1 yr doesn't either. My older son actually gets very upset when something even comes apart.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• well i have a 5 yr old grandson who lives with me and a 4yrlod neice who live with me and a two yr lod grandson besides the others whoo visit me and the 5 yr old and two yr old and 4 yr old do break caryons and markers and they do rip coloring books but as for breaking all there toys no i only hope there is a remody for this and that you find it and soon
    jayzgrandma711

Answer by jayzgrandma711 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have almost five year old and almost two year old and they like to break things, I told my four year old that the baby is still little and he don't know better and you are old enough to know not to break stuff. I told him that if he is going to break his toys then that is all he is going to have to play with and if he wants new toys then he needs to show me that he is responsible, I do have to say he has been much better with his toys since he had to play with nothing but broken things, he is learning.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Most kids do not do what you said your kids do. Mine did not do it. Because if they did do it what they broke went in the trash and they never got that again. Next time they are bored. Make them clean the house. They will stop being bored.

Answer by louise2 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• The 2 year old..I can understand..but the older ones really should know better.Maybe if they do without new stuff for awhile they will learn to appreciate the things that they do have.
    Kiwismommy is right on with how I think of the whole matter.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Don't buy new things! My DD is 2 1/2 and knows you break it that's it! You are buying them new things, you are encourging the behaviour.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Try wooden blocks....

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010