Getting pregnant while still nursing

Hello,

My husband and I would like to begin trying to conceive our second. Our first baby is a year old, and is still nursing throughout the day (about 3 times) and during the night (two to three times). We are in our mid 30's and would really like to aim to get pregnant by September but I'm worried I have to wean my baby completely before I do that (and she's definitely not ready to give up nursing), or that I must get my period back before I can get pregnant. I know it's tricky to get pregnant without menstruatint but I also know it *is* possible. I'm wondering how many of you got pregnant while nursing and while not getting your period? How often did you try before you got pregnant? A couple times a week, more? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I got pregnant with our second when my son was about 14 months old. I nursed him until 19 months, and luckily he self weaned. You should be able to cut down on your feedings, and your child should no longer require nighttime feedings. I know how hard it is to NOT feed her when she wants to nurse, but what we did was have my husband get up with him when he woke in the nighttime and that stopped the night feedings.
    I only had about 2 periods before I got pregnant and I used the at home ovulation kids to help and we got pregnant that week. Hopefully something that I've said has helped you, best of luck!!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 2:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes I've been pregnant whilst still nursing and it is possible but at this point your child does not need quite as much milk. We did not wean until 18 months with our children but we started to cut it down from 9 months onwards, you needn't feed her quite so much, it doesn't need to be on demand. That may also help your chances of getting pregnant as well as make sure that you have all the nutrients you can for the next pregnancy!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I know I need to cut back on the nightime feedings but my husband wakes up very early for work and isn't willing to soothe her during the night. So, its just me...and as soon as she sees me, she wants to nurse. I might have to resort to some tough love and sing to her or find some other way to soothe her when she wakes up during the night. I'm willing to nurse her until 11 pm, but wakings between 11 and 6, I really don't want to offer her the breast. Last night I gave it a shot, and she got very angry when I offered her a sippy cup with water...she thrashed around in my arms and was not happy. I'[m not sure if my mistake is that I'm not waiting long enough before picking her up (I try to wait about 5 minutes but she's usually escalated by that point and is standing up in the crib), or if picking her up altogether is the wrong strategy. Either way, cutting back on nursing will probably increase my chances of conception. Thanks
    onefootforward

Answer by onefootforward at 2:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I am still nursing my DS at 16 months, I had my firs post preggo period one year after he was born. As long as you are getting your period you can get pregnant according to my doctor. I nurse my son 2x during the day and 2-3 times at night, mostly the night is just comfort nurse and he doesnt drink much. Have fun with the baby making!!
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• my son nursed through the night until he was about 18 months. that is a personal decision on whether you want to stop that or not and you shouldn't let anyone convince you that you *shouldn't* do that. now as for getting pregnant, you just need to ovulate to get pregnant and it sounds like you are not ovulating yet. because i think you would have a period. you can ovulate *before* you get your first period but you would then start having periods, i think anyway.

to get pregnant you need to have sex within a few days of ovulation but since you haven't started your period it can be very difficult to guess when you will ovulate. it could be that you won't for a while longer. many women start to ovulate once their child is eating more foods other than breast milk which will probably be happening soon since your baby is 1

you can either try to breastfeed less, because imo that would increase your chances of ovulation, or
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• you can wait it out a few more months because imo it would be likely for you to start ovulating soon anyway.

that's just my opinion. i think if it were me, i would just wait it out but i know how hard that can be when you are wanting to get pregnant and not knowing if it will take a long time or happen right away!!!

here is a link that talks a bit about fertility while BFing.

good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• http://www.gardenoffertility.com/mothering.shtml
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son was a Clomid baby. I expected to wean him between his first and second birthday, get my period back at some point during (or after) the weaning process, and probably be back on Clomid by his second birthday.
    I cut out one nursing session the day after he turned 1
    Six weeks or so after that, I was pregnant, nary a period to be seen. My daughter was a complete but utterly welcome surprise when my son was about 22 months old. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• why dont you wait another year until your body is fully ready to have another one? that way you can be sure your child will get enough nursing time under his or her belt because your milk can dry up while your pregnant.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 9:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I didn't get my period until my 2nd was 16 months old, but it was the only period I got. I now have a 10 month old son and a soon to be 3 year old daughter, they are 2 years and 2 days apart.

I would suggest you use that tough love to break her of the night time nursing, I got my period back when my dd stopped night time nursing. I think I have read that when they are going 6 or more hours at night without nursing it can help you become fertile again. Obviously every body is different. At the moment I think I am close to getting my first pp cycle because my 10 month old has been sleeping most of the night most nights for a month or so.

Just cut out one nursing at a time, not cold turkey for the whole night, and talk to her about it beforehand. She may not understand a lot, but I think it helps to let them know what is happening.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2010