what should you not put down the garbage disposal?

besides bones of course. i'v never had one before and dh laughs at me cuz i put pretty much everything down it.

jennifer588

Asked by jennifer588 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Fingers...
    TexasPride85

Answer by TexasPride85 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Also want to say that you want to put a little at a time down there so it doesn't clog. It's a mess if it clogs. A plunger is very useful if it does.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Metal products.. and anything stupid stinky, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If you drop whole chunks of moldy meat in there from the fridge, it shoots it back at you and clogs!
    We made pot roast one night, didn't eat much of it and put it in the fridge for leftovers. Three weeks or so later, we found it again and I had the bright idea to put it down the disposal instead of the trash can. I didn't cut it up or anything, I just dropped the whole chunk in the sink and jammed it down with a wooden spoon. Big Mess!
    It took me an hour to clean the food from myself, the walls, and the ceiling. Not to mention the money to get the disposal fixed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Don't put things that are stringy like celery, outer peel of onions, etc down there. I also don't put any meat , usually, especially if it is grizzly. Did you get a booklet with the disposer? That should tell you things to avoid too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• for sure celery,, and no money,, LOL-my son put pennies and nickels in it! I turned it on and screeching halt, after lots of noise,, his new bank is what he told me,! I put lemon in mine to make it smell fresh, someone told me cutting one into quarters sharpens the blades and keeps in smelling nice,, IDK, but since the money incident no problems here!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Coffe grounds

Answer by louise2 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My husband installed our disposal because there wasn't one when we bought the house. One of the things listed as ok to put in it in the instructions that came with it was bones. It said that it cleans and sharpens the blades and ice can too. But that may not be true for all disposals. A lot of what you can or cannot put in it depends on how powerful your disposal is and whether you are on a city sewer line or have a septic tank. Generally, you shouldn't put anything that won't break down easily like certain vegetable peels.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Potatoes
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Dont ever pour grease into the disposal or the regular sink either. My ex used to tell me to just run the water to really hot and then dispose of grease. It doesnt work that way, we had all sorts of damage to the pipes from the grease after a couple years. Use a paper towel to absorb the grease and throw away in garbage.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010