looking for any advice for keeping kids healthy once school starts again. I do the vitamins and the handsitier but still get sick. Scared to send them to school cause last year had the flu, pinkeye,ear infentions. When their are 3 kids any advice would be great.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 2:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Health

• you don't just get germs from school.....anywhere you go you pick germs up. the store, resturants, bathrooms...everywhere.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• emergen-c is great for that. it's a little powder packet you mix with water and drink. i use to drink it everyday and it boosted my imune system. you can get it at wal greens and they have a lot of different flavors.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• it may sound silly but it makes a big difference, I teach them to NOT touch their faces. Unless they are washing their face, blowing their nose, eating, ect. so that the germs stay away, just one more thing that I believe helps. I've done this with them since they were about 3.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 3:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Good for you giving your kids vitamins. I did some research on kids vitamins and all kids vitamins are not equal!! The absorption rate on some vitamins is as low as less than 20% but in others is as high as over 80%. Make sure they are getting a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veggies and make sure they all get to bed early and get lots of sleep, lots of sleep makes a huge difference. We have 5 kids, three of whom are in school, and we missed very few days last year due to sickness, thank goodness. Too much work catching up on all that schoolwork!!
    Healthytomorrow

Answer by Healthytomorrow at 3:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes, teaching them to not touch their faces, unless hands have just been washed, is huge.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Feed them plenty of fresh and healthy foods, limit sugar and prepackaged foods, lots of water, and plenty of fresh air and sunshine....plenty of time to play outside, limit stress in family.....it's the best prescription for not getting sick! Oh, and when people pick on you for it (they did me), don't be afraid to tell them where to go, and stay away from them (even if they are family)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well, most people will not agree w/ me, but I come from the school of thought that the body needs some germs sometimes to be able to build up an immunity to stronger germs. I grew up playing in dirt, eating the dirt, and my mother was NOT a good housekeeper. As children (there were 4 of us) we were rarely ill. I can only remember being sick 2x in my entire childhood. We never had ear infections or pinkeye. I have 5 kids now and they have all had ear infections, strep throat,pinkeye, etc. I try not to worry about things out of my control, but isn't strange how the kids seem to have these illnesses more often even though we have sanitizer, etc, etc.? It has me thinking that we as a society are using too much antibacterial stuff so our bodies are not able to fight the really strong strains when they hit us. I don't even bother w/ the sanitizer anymore, but I know the schools do.
    WinkBoss

Answer by WinkBoss at 3:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Adequate sleep; lots of water, and echineacea will all help build the immune system.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?
    According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.
    Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• take off shoes, wash hands, maybe change out of school clothes once home. I like the don't touch your face idea mentioned. pick the shopping carts left in the sun.

early to sleep, no cals in drinks, play until winded everyday~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Build up their immune system:

Vitamins is a great start but they may not be absorbing them properly. Add some coconut oil to their diet; it aids in absorption of vitamins/minerals and has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the major reasons individuals come down with the flu (my kids vitamin D levels are checked periodically and their dosage is adjusted accordingly). Definitely start them on probiotics. Eat healthy, avoid junk - processed foods, artificial everything, and sugar, and be sure to limit dairy.

My kids and I follow this regimen and we never get sick; hubby thinks it's silly and he gets the flu nearly every year.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010