How can I get my 1 year old to stop throwing EVERYthing?

Not just food off his tray, but everything and anywhere. ITs not a huge problem so if the consensus is that this is normal and they grow out of it, then I can deal with the throwing. But I want to know if I should be corrrecting this behavior and if there is a more effective way than just saying no and picking the item up. If it is his bottle or sippy I give it back to him, if it is a toy or other object I just move it and he goes on to play with the next toy. Any ideas, opinions or suggestions?

kristen_renee3

Asked by kristen_renee3 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore what you can. Don't pick things up & give them back because usually 9 out of 10 times he's going to do it again & it becomes a game to him. If you laugh at the behaviors you want him to stop doing he won't ever stop throwing if he gets a rise ' out of you for doing it.' & last but not least have him pick it up, try being consistent in telling him to pick it up & it'll take some time but it'll reverse itself if you stick to your guns', so to speak.My 22 month old went through a similar stage.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 3:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would take whatever he's throwing away from him first off so he doesn't break anything or hurt anyone. Then I would do what the "supernanny" says is a good way to capture a child's attention better. You look them in the eyes and tell them in a firm voice "that is naughty and you should not be throwing things." She would give the child a time out. However, I don't think stuff like that would work on a one year old. If you do this a number of times, hopefully it will be learned that it is wrong. As far as food on a tray is concerned, my kids pushed food off their high chair when they were done eating till they got a little older. It was their way of telling me they were done with whatever I put in front of them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with Stefono 100%. I think that most children do go through this around his age, and you don't want to necessarily get on to him for it, but you dont want to encourage it either. So, her advice was great, IMO :)
    momofamonkey83

Answer by momofamonkey83 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• LOL my son is right there with your son! he just turned 1 and he throws everything too! mainly toys and only food if hes done but he really likes to throw toys at babys.....so i dunno i think its just a stage and if he throws the toy i tell him thats not nice and just put it in his toy box and he finds something else to play with
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Babies are scientists. At that age they all test gravity!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010