How did you kick the caffeine habit?

I will admit, I am addicted to caffeine. Not necessarily coffe, but sodas are a big issue for me. I have tried to kick the habit before, because I know I need to, but I couldn't deal with the insane headaches. I learned that I have gained 10 lbs, and I am pissed about it. I know that cutting out the sodas will help, but it's tough for me to do. Any tips on making this possible?

momofamonkey83

Asked by momofamonkey83 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I quit when i got preggo. now, if i can quit the soda habit all together...
    Jessand2boys

Answer by Jessand2boys at 3:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• step it down an ounce at a time. It takes a while, but at least you won't get headaches.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I switched to diet soda and made sure not to eat other sugary stuff in place of it and lost 30 pounds in less than 5 months.
    I can't help with the caffeine habit though. I go through 7-8 diet sodas in a day, plus several cups of coffee and a pack of caffeinated gum a day, which has the equivalent of a cup of coffee per 2 pieces and 12 pieces in a pack, so 6 cups of coffee there.
    :-) At lest you don't have it that bad. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't have a choice. My heart cannot handle caffeine. If you treat it like what it is, and addiction, and just slowly wean yourself off because you KNOW it is best for your health, you can do it!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree, but I was lucky enough to not have a soda habit. Coffee, on the other hand...
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• one day at a time...one soda at a time to be exact......just start cutting...get used to the cut, even if it's cutting one soda a day...and then cut another one.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would do it cold turkey-
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Gradually, since the body gets used to you fueling it with caffeine.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• start slowly, cut out a aday and start replacing the rest with diet and then water
    Mom2Joseph2007

Answer by Mom2Joseph2007 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You could try mixing caffeinated and the decaffeinated version in your glass, and over time gradually increase the amount of the decaffeinated. For example, start out with 2/3 caffeinated and 1/3 decaffeinated soda for the first week and then the next week or when you're ready(depending on if you get headaches), change to 1/2 caffeinated and 1/2 decaffeinated and keep increasing the amount of decaffeinated until it's 100%.

Then once you have the caffeine issue taken care of, do the same thing with regular and then diet.

Good luck!
    Pat
    Amigram.com Life’s Happy Announcements
    Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 3:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2010