My daughter started college in August and today she finally found a major that she is interested in. She has been thinking about this quite some time, but she went to a Majors fair.She wants to be a social worker.

Now , my question is this. On a personal basis or someone you know, how have social workers helped that you know of? I know for a fact that they help homeless, they help cancer stricken patients, drug abusers etc. I know that already. I want to know more,and what they did for you or someone you know. You don't have to use your real name cause there are a lot of things people want to keep to themselves, so could you tell me, so I can tell her.Get a little in depth if you want. I didn't know where to put this, so JUST FOR FUN it is.I am so proud of her!

Kat122

Asked by Kat122 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My sister hs a bs in sociology and bs in film and video. She was a social worker for a long time...she got sick of it and quit without notice one day. Basically she sat in an office all day typing up stuff on the computer,awnsering phone calls and talking to people about receiving foodstamps, insurance and other state things. She would have to rule out who was lying, etc. That's all she did.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 5:10 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I have friends who work in county services with child services and mental health. Most of them are burnt out dealing with the red tape and sad situations they encounter. There's much frustration dealing within the system.

I've done hospice care at home twice. The social workers I met through their programs seemed to be very at peace with their mission. Their focus was to bring comfort to our loved ones and to help the family through the process. Those social workers and their teams were godsends and I'll forever be thankful for their help.
    Mrs.Weezie

Answer by Mrs.Weezie at 5:22 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I am a foster mother, so I work with our county's social worker all the time to help the kids in our care. She does SO much to help the kids, to help me, and to help the families repair themselves to get their kids back...she even helps me to help the family. If she is one of the GOOD social workers (and there are more good than bad), then she will help thousands and thousands in her career. The problem is the pay. She is signing up for a career that has endless intrinsic rewards, but she will be the definition of "overworked and underpaid"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• i know they also help kids that are in trouble or don't have enough money for school, they help them to go int this job crops witch helps with get a career and on hand train even helps them get a high school ed and a ged even if they want to be in the air force or the army..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I want to warn you and your sister. Social workers are a dime a dozen nowadays. The market is FLOODED with them, and they don't always work in the nicest of environments. My MIL has her masters in social work, and can't hold a job for more than a year because she has too much experience and thus, is too expensive. They can just hire some kid out of college for peanuts. She may be able to get a job right off, but the security is horrible, the caseloads are sometimes ENORMOUS, and its not very rewarding. Good luck anyway.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• daughter, not sister... sorry
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I was looking into studying Human Services and have been debating it. One reason is because Ive spoken with several who are already in that field and when they got down to the real talk, its not what I need in my life. It can be stressful. They can do much more than counseling and etc they can do SS coordinators and etc. The best thing one has ever done for me was tell me the real deal about becoming one. She sat down and told me if it was something I really wanted to do then be prepared mentally because over time it wears on you. She made some good positive and negative points.I agree with MamaLion up there, they told me everything she just said as well.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, I did have an interview for an entry level position to begin the career and it went GREAT only to find out 3 things...1. Funding was cut and they couldnt afford to fill the position 2. Being in Northern VA speaking spanish was a serious biggie to get hired and 3. Most positions in DSS hire from within I had applied for tons of positions only to find out they legally they had to be posted to the public but they were already filled by insiders
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008