How do you get your 18-24 month old to stop throwing tantrums?

I've done the "tried and true" method of just ignoring her... (My DD is almost 18 months old). However, she is VERY hard-headed. What other ways can I get her to quit throwing tantrums every time she doesn't get her way?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think tantrums are part of the age... but you don't need to "allow" them. With my son he gets a time out... time out isn't finished, no matter how long he's been there, if he is still carrying on with his fit. Usually it's not a problem though... he calms down with his time out and then the tantrum is over. We have a time out pad that works wonders with my son... http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3636803&CAWELAID=363064737
    When we put him in time out we tell him "You can't have a cookie right now, you need to sit here until time out is over and you have calmed down" When time out is over it plays a little song... he gets a hug and a "Thank you for sitting" and we move on to something new.
    If it matters, my son will be 2 next week... we've had this pad for a few months and have seen a HUGE differenece in his behavior.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• wow shes a baby so I would just stick to your guns keep ignoring them & don't giver her what she wants let her cry/scream, once shes understands more around 2 start giving her time outs 1 min per year of her age so 2 min 4 a 2 yr old
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 3:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My daughter will be 2 in August and the tantrums haven't stopped since she was about 17 months old. I just ignore her and let her throw her little fit and let her know it's not going to get her anywhere... so she can throw it all she wants.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Stay as calm as you can. Explain what is and is not allowed. My son stopped once I started ignoring them, but it took awhile. Show her lots of love and praise, praise, praise when she does good things. Best wishes!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Learn to avoid situations that lead up to tantrums. If your child has tantrums when hungry then feed your child lots of snacks and carry healthy foods with you when you go out. Explain things before so your child knows what to expect. Acknowledge your child's feelings.

My grandson is 21 mo and very independent and strong willed. He would be having tantrums all the time if we didn't know how to handle him. My son had to drop something off and my grandson wanted to stay with me. He spends about every other day. I couldn't keep him today. My son had explained that before he came in. We let him be a little sad on my lap and I said something like you wish you could stay. We talked to him and my son pried him away. By the time he got to the door he was ok and could wave and say, "later."

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My grandson had a few tantrums around 18 mo with his father and me and will still have them with his mother. I decided when I became a mother that I wanted to enjoy being a parent and I wanted to be a good parent. I read parenting books, became involved with La Leche League, went to parenting conferences, took psychology courses in grad school, and did other things to keep learning. Parenting is a learned skill.

If you give your daughter small choices it will help her be less "hard headed." Don't ask her what she wants to wear, let her choose between 2 or 3 tops. Let her choose what color cup she wants. When you go shopping let her pick one treat under a certain amount ($1, $3). I did this with my kids but I had veto power. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son is 2 years old and it now throwing more tantrums. In the past, I have just done what he wants to avoid him crying. But I changed and I tell him "No means no" and I finally put my foot down. Luckily, his tantrums are minimal and growing less but only because he often get distracted easily and finds something else he wants. Also he was 4 other cousins and they do a good job getting his mind off of what he wanted at that second. Patience and insistance pays off.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 3:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Children should never be spanked, hit, popped, slapped, bit, or any of the other mean things that may be suggested on cm. I is inhumane, ineffective, and is used by parents that don't have parenting skills to control their children. Punishiment rarely stops bad behavior and never teaches good behavior.

Ignoring tantrums works with normal kids. When you have a toddler on the extreme of strong willed, ignoring isn't going to work. You need to do more. You can think of toddler personality as being a continuum with a few being calm, go with the flow type kids, most being kids that are normal and affected by heredity and environment, and a few that are very strong willed (heredity?)

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My dd is 16 months old and when she throws a fit I walk away. I have to in order to keep from screaming at her at the top of my lungs. A lot of the time when she sees me leaving she stops and follows behind me.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If you have the courage to spank her every time she throws a fit, she will stop in a few days. It might take a bit longer if she's very strong-willed. I had one of those.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010