How do you celebrate YOUR birthday?

As mothers, we're all about celebrating our children's birthdays, but how do you celebrate YOUR special day? Mine's coming up next Saturday (7/17). We're going out to dinner with my parents, brother, sister, grandparents, and a couple friends of mine. When I was young, my birthday was a month long celebration... now I barely get a day! Even my birthday will be spent getting ready for my daughter's birthday party. Her b-day is 7/20, but we're having her party next Sunday. Do you do anything special on your birthday?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I share a birthday with my youngest, so my birthday had been kind of taken over and claimed by him-- which is fine by me as he is 4 and he should be the one getting the attention. To make my birthday a special day for me I will buy a nice bakery cake (in honor of both birthdays) and we will have that for dessert on the birthday. My hubs usually takes me out to eat for my birthday (sometimes for lunch, sometimes supper depending on what day it is). My parents and sis usually give me birthday cards or a present on whatever day I have my son's party. I have 2 friends who live far away and they usually call me on my birthday, and I have friends/family who will send birthday cards, or birthday greetings on facebook or email.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I make myself whatever kind of cake I want (because I love baking and decorating LOL)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I usually make myself a cake and my husband has me buy a gift for myself from him and other than that, it's just like any other day.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I usually go out for dinner with my family and some friends. I actually made myself a cake this year though since I have special diet needs. It turned out awesome. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My grown children usually take care of it for me. They plan a meal at one of their homes or sometimes we go out for a meal. It's always a family celebration, and I always love the cards I get from friends and family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I was raised on not really making it over the top with birthdays. I can't recall one birthday party even given to me. Normally it's just my family and we have cake and ice cream and make a special dinner.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 3:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We don't really celebrate it.  It's a couple weeks before Christmas and we're usually broke.  My family rarely remembers it (kids and hubby), I don't get presents, cake (since I'm the only one that cooks) or anything like that.  I usually spend it doing the same things I do every day.  If I'm lucky we go out to eat on whatever day off my husband has closest to that day.

We don't make a big deal out of the kids' birthdays either.  They get dinner/lunch out, a few presents, a cake and that's it.  No party or anything.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I make or buy my cake...and hubby and kids will say happy birthday to me at some point. that's about it

I will give him credit though for my 40th we went to Vegas, because he said if we didn't go do something somewhere-he didn't want to be around me when I turned 40 because I'd be a miserable bitch! LOL..
    *and YES I would have ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well this year it'll be Thanksgiving,so we'll be going out to eat-I don't cook on my b-day! Other than that it'll be business as usual. No big whoop.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Welll, this year my awesome husband bought me a new pair of diamond earrings :) My birthday's not till next Saturday but he can't ever wait to give me gifts. We're also going to my favorite restaurant ON my birthday. I'm thinking it'll be a good birthday year! My 21st birthday (3 years ago) was spent being 9 months pregnant! That was horrid. Then, I had my daughter three days later, and it was all worth it! Plus, we went to Dave & Busters in August to celebrate my and hubs' birthdays together, so I got to get my drink on. I don't drink much anyway, but it was nice to be legal!
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010